Nissan to Buy GM!!!!??

I don't see anything in there about Nissan buying GM.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Since Renault already controls Nissan, don't you thin claiming Nissan is going to buy anything is a little ridiculous? The guy that sold Chrysler down the river, is now trying to do the same thing to GM. He doesn't give a damn about GM or the US, he just needs for something to drive up the GM share price so he can extort a little more money from less powerfule invertors. If he relly cared about GM, he get the bozos running the company fird, and hire someone with a clue.

Ed

C. E. White

The headline of the article reads: Global Partners Possible For GM Kerkorian Urges Alliance With Nissan, Renault

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

> 454.html

Right, nothing about Nissan buying GM.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I heard it on the local news ... I hope Renault doesn't make the step of buying themselves into GM! Let them focus on making good cars for the non-US markets, and let GM (at least the US part) focus on making good cars for the US. I don't believe that Renault investing money over there will be of any advantage for us. Neither do I believe it will really benefit the US people.

Reply to
jthole

Nissan and Renault are already together. This could be a merger or an alliance that could help save GM's future, I guess.

Both Nissan and Renault make pretty darn good cars..probably better in quality that the crap GM has been turning out. Renault has been terrible about marketing here in the USA, and some of their old production was pretty poor in quality. Much better today.

I might consider buying some GM stock in hopes that this sort of alliance happens. Otherwise, my money would be, I am afraid, wasted on that paper.

Reply to
<HLS

I only know the Opel brand ... other GM cars are very rare over here, I think.

I'd rather have Renault staying focussed on making very good cars for the European market, and other markets where they already have a stake, than seeing them diverting their attention to winning a completely different market. US companies are probably much better in serving the US market anyway, I guess. Just as Renault is doing a very good job in serving the European market.

Reply to
jthole

Should GM sell GMAC, then they have cash left over after dept. reduction to buy that car company that starts with a 'T'. Good move before China starts dumping cheap autos in the US and eats everyone's lunch,

Reply to
brxsep

Don't bet on GM having enough money to buy anything starting with a "T", not that that company would sell anyhow.

I expect the Chinese cars, sooner or later, and I expect them to be, initially, somewhere between the Yugo and the Kia or Hyundai in quality. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
<HLS

Renault owns about a 44% stake in Nissan. Maybe a buck or two shy of 'control'.

Reply to
<HLS

That's quite a spread in quality - unless you mean Hyundai when it first came over.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've seen Chinese trucks and "jeeps" in the '70's. They were junk. Their tractors were then too.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Isn'tthat what a Renault buyout would accomplish? Say what you will about Renault products, at least the ones sold in the US (and I've got a lot to say about them, most of it unprintable) they are doing a hell of a lot better as a business than GM is, and they already saved Nissan...

nate

C. E. White wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No, US brands are *not* doing a good job serving the US market, that's why they're having their lunch money taken by the Japanese and European brands. Now reintroducing Renault to the US would be a huge mistake as they have an even worse reputation than GM here, but some current Renault-style management could only be an improvement.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I went by a Honda dealer yesterday. They had plenty of Accords, but not a Civic to be found. Saleswoman said they are taking orders but cannot keep up. Simply put, they get good gas mileage and won the Motor Trend Car of the Year award. Drove by the Chevy lot and they had plenty of Cobalts and Malibus sitting.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You are forgetting a few things. The Hyundai brand of vehicles recently out scored the Toyota brand of vehicles, in J D Powers initial quality survey, of 2005 vehicles. You also forgot to mention the plant Toyotas is building in China to make cars for the US. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That's a strange remark considering the Ford Fusion out scored the Camry and Accord all European brands in a recently published owner survey. The Fusion cost thousands less to boot. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess that just proves how the average new car buyer is uninformed when one considers the EPA CAFE Guide, for 2006 vehicles, list the Civic with a small 2.0L engine at 23/32 and the Cobalt with the 2.4L at 25/34. Particularly when the Cobalt sells for $1500 to $2,500 less than the Civic.. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Renault is not one of the star players in Europe. They do a mediocre job there. That is, in fact, why the guy they sent to save Nissan is now also running Renault.

I see no reason to think that Renault has anything to offer GM...except in terms of an imaginative guy as top manager who is eager to make very large cuts, as he did with Nissan.

Reply to
nopcbs