No Brake/ABS Light

When first starting my car all the dash lights come on and go through their check, but the brake and ABS lights never come on. Even if I engage the emergency brake the brake lt still doesnt come on. I checked the ABS fuse under the hood and inside the fuse box and they seem ok. Any suggestions for a nonmechanic to start looking. I have a

98 Sunbird and the Pont dealer wants 100.00 just to look at it.

Thanks John

Reply to
John

If you thought you are having bad luck...I have a 98 Grand AM that the brake and ABS lights won't go out. Figure that one out

George Tampa

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

I had an '00 Sunfire. Brake, ABS and TRAC lights were on and wouldn't go out. Turned out that an ABS sensor was knocked off loose.

Bruno Hache

Reply to
Bruno Haché

Pull the instrument cluster, and make sure the bulbs aren't burned out.

Reply to
clevere

Reply to
John

One of the things that I was told is "When you buy a car go to an empty lot to see how the ABS works on it, each car is different" the J-Body cars seem to not really want to kick the ABS in right away (or one the ones I've driven...many Cavaliers and Sunfires from driving school).

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

i checked all of the sensors on the grand am. when i disconnect the left rear, the brake light goes out. if i disconnect the right rear, the traction light comes on

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Just an update, like another poster suggested, I took the car out and stompped on it. Came to a skid everytime. ABS never kicked in. Since the brakes are good, I can live with the no ABS for a few months until I have the money to fix them, but Id like to get these instrument lts working again. How would I remove the instrument cluster? Do I have to tear the dash a part? Thanks John

Reply to
John

How would I remove the instrument cluster? Do I have

98 Sunfire, right? Should be several screws holding the trim pad over the IP. Look in the glove box and under defroster grille and around pad perimeter. IP should be exposed after pad is removed.

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

When you do finally get around to taking the vehicle to someone to have it repaired. How do you expect the technician to determine the codes caused by real malfunctions and the codes caused by you unplugging things you know nothing about. Are you going to be upset when the technician charges you for a couple hours of diagnostic time chasing down things you caused in your driveway

Reply to
Nutsy