No Daytime Running Lights

I have a '99 Grand Prix GT and for some reason the running lights do not work. I changed the headlight lamps and the same thing happens. The strange thing is that the sensor will kick on the night time running lights. Anyone have an idea???

Reply to
Craig

Perhaps this description will give you some ideas on things to check:

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) control module is designed to automatically operate the exterior lights depending on the outside light conditions.

The DRL control module operates in 2 modes:

The day mode In the day mode, the DRL control module turns ON the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity when the DRL ambient light sensor detects daylight under the following conditions: The ignition switch is in the RUN position. The headlamps are OFF. The park brake is OFF.

The low light mode In the low light mode, the DRL ambient light sensor detects darkness, turning ON the low beam headlamps to full intensity through circuit 10. Additionally, the DRL ambient light sensor turns ON the following lamps through circuit 9: The park lamps The side marker lamps The license lamps The tail lamps If the engine stalls with the DRL control module in the low light mode, the DRL control module turns OFF the headlamps while the engine is being cranked. The DRL control module turns ON the following lamps while the engine is being cranked:

The side marker The park lamps The license lamps The tail lamps The following lamps operate in the usual manner:

The headlamp The instrument panel lamp dimmer switch The DRL control module receives voltage from the following fuses:

The DRL fuse through circuit 1239 The DIC/HVAC fuse through circuit 541 The following lamps may be operated manually at any time by using the headlamp and the instrument panel lamp dimmer switch:

The park lamps The headlamps The DRL module does not operate if the system voltage is less than 9 volts or greater than 18 volts.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Ambient Light Sensor The DRL ambient light sensor is a light sensitive variable resistor. The DRL ambient light sensor's resistance decreases as the outside light intensity increases. The DRL control module performs the following functions:

Measures the voltage drop across the DRL ambient light sensor. Determines whether the DRL ambient light sensor should operate in the day mode or the low light mode.

Park Brake Input The DRL control module will not operate any headlamps or exterior lamps if the park brake is applied before the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position. This allows the driver to start the vehicle and keep the headlamps OFF, as long as the park brake is applied. The DRL control module activates the headlamps when the park brake is released with the ignition switch in the RUN position. This feature functions only when the park brake is applied before the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position. The headlamps will not turn OFF, if the park brake is applied after the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Perhaps someone disconnected the DRL's. Follow this link to see how it's done (and how to reverse it)

Nite

Reply to
Craig

check the relay and fuse

Reply to
M.C. Tee

It's amazing I have the exact same problem, my fog lights don't come on either. I have switched all of the relays and fuses. Someone said it could be a bad body control module...I really don't think so, but i'll check it out. Let me know if you find a solution

Reply to
koolklown