No DRL's on 04 GP??

They sound good like that because of nice cam grinds and the cylinders=20 arent 1 up and one down but rather one up and one part way up. On an=20 inline there is always 1 piston up and one piston down. Thats why there=20 are no dead sound spots in a 4 cylinder and why they sound like a buzz=20 saw. A engine needs to lope to sound healthy and good to me. Anything=20 else is just noise to me and needs to be muffled.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

If you're gonna play the turbo game don't count out turbo'd Vettes and Z28s.

And besides, you can't do burnouts or donuts with AWD cars, what fun is that?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

They sound good like that because of nice cam grinds and the cylinders arent 1 up and one down but rather one up and one part way up. On an inline there is always 1 piston up and one piston down. Thats why there are no dead sound spots in a 4 cylinder and why they sound like a buzz saw. A engine needs to lope to sound healthy and good to me. Anything else is just noise to me and needs to be muffled.

Oh man do they sound neat, but they're loud as hell too. I was going to UW-Milwaukee one day while Harley Fest was going on and when they open those things up they sound nice and beefy. You can hear them around a 1/2 mile away in the city when they have WOT. Didn't HD trademark the sound awhile back?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I do believe that fog lights have to be yellow, because that's apparently the color least reflected by the mist. You know how they always suggest that if you're in a foggy condition, never but never, turn on your headlight highbeams, because they will reflect right back at you and blind you. Whereas the lowbeams are aimed slightly down towards the road, therefore even if they are reflecting, they won't be reflecting directly into your eyes. The yellow fogs are safest not to be reflected back towards you.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Yeah, but this is a factory turbo package, not aftermarket.

Nothing but instant acceleration, that can be a lot of fun too. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

You make it sound like the import sounds worse, but although I like the sound of flooring my V10 Triton, it's nothing compared to the sound my 4 banger 1.8 liter Turbo import engine getting up to 65mph in 2nd. Besides that, Triton's flood if you floor the pedal too fast.

Reply to
Baudolino

Just try it once, having your brights on in the fog makes it looking your driving into a white wall. Very bright in front of you but nothing you can see out there. The beam of fog lights is wider and not as long, what gives you a better view what's to your side and it makes the wall a lot less wide. Driving through real dense fog, and you can easily tell the quality of your fog lights, although even the best still make driving in fog (especially if combined with darkness and drizzle) quite a pain. The factory fitted on most cars work nice to see where you're going in a state park in dark, but are useless in fog.

Reply to
Baudolino

And my 91 Grand Am, I have to drive with my emergency lights on, just to be able to see something ahead. It seems that the back-up lights are brighter than the headlights.

Reply to
Baudolino

I've seen a video of a typhoon doing donuts. Remember that those are turbo'ed and have awd as well.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Know about the dense fog and the brights, can't see 2 inches in front of the car. But, if the fog lights are properly aimed it shouldn't matter what color they are since fog is about a foot off the ground and fog lights are aimed below that so it shouldn't reflect.

"Tom: So the question becomes, to yellow or not to yellow? There's a lot of debate about this, but the research says that yellow lights are no better than white lights at penetrating fog. The theory bandied about was that yellow light has a longer wavelength and is therefore less likely to be reflected by the fog particles. Turns out, this is complete poppycock. Ray: Apparently, the fog particles themselves are so big that they reflect all colors of light. Basically, all light bounces off of them, so using yellow light instead of white light gives you no advantage.

Tom: Plus, in order to get yellow light, what fog-light manufacturers do is put a yellow lens over a white light. That cuts your light output by 20 percent to 30 percent, which is counterproductive. "

Phillip Schmid

Forgot all about those, what'd they make in terms of power?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

2 words, Callaway Sledgehammer. They were given to Callaway to mod them then GM sold them to customers (RPO code B2K). My uncle got to race one of those with a nitro-ed Camaro (he was working at a dealership and both of those cars were in there...I think the Camaro was there because the rear end split cuz of all the mods the guy did to it) and the Camaro was doing fine up till about 80, then the Callaway came and whipped right past him (it was gaining the entire time tho :P)
Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Power 280 bhp @ 4400 rpm R=20 Torque 350 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm=20

60 mph 5.3 sec Standing 1/4-mile 14.1 sec @ 95mph
Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

True, the wavelenght of any visible light is measured in the nanometre ranges, even the longest ones, the reds. When you look at fog in the daytime, they are white in color, meaning that they are reflecting pretty much all of the spectrum of colors (white is the final mix of all of the individual visible colors). So the wavelength of the light probably had little or nothing to do with it. It's most likely that the fog lamps are placed in such a position on the car as to not reflect directly into your eyes.

I think the true anti-fog lights will be from the infrared spectrum. Afterall, this is the wavelengths that astronomers use to cut to through the gas and dust within the Milky Way galaxy. If it works for astronomers it'll likely work for drivers too. Some of the Cadillacs have an infrared heads-up display system in them to supplement the headlights.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Marky

Reply to
Marky

Reply to
Marky

Reply to
Marky

The 'exploded' mixture is useless in the cylinder and therefore transported out to the muffles, the noise is pressurized gas flowing through pipes and orifices. One of the few ways to reuse these gases is to use the pressure for a turbo. You can't get more than one combustion out of the same mixture.

Heat, noise and vibration all cost energy, so a car that doesn't heat up, you can't hear and doesn't vibrate probably gets the most miles per gallon.

Reply to
Baudolino

I love my GTP, but I sure do miss my Mitsu GSX turbo AWD. It's head snapping acceleration ( after the turbo lag ), cornering, and over all handling was excellent. But, I've aged a bit, so the GTP works for me. One of these days I will start doing some of the mods to it.

Reply to
GTP owner and proud of it