Normal Grand Am engine temparature??

Hi.

My Grand Am (1993 SE) runs cold... which I suppose is a good thing for the summer.

The temperatre guage goes up to the first notch just past the 40 mark. Since the guage is marked 40 (far left), 105 (midway) and 140 (extreme right) I am assuming that the operating temperature is about 70 (105-40=65 which means each notch is about 30 degrees so 40+30=70)

It runs a tad too cool though because there is not enough warm air in my opinion. It's warm but not that warm that I think it would suit me for winter.

Is this normal operating temperture (first notch) for this car? Does your car run this way? I was thinking of taking out some rad fluid to replace it with water, about half a litre.

I should also point out the fluid reservoir is completely empty. This seems unusual given that there is a "Full Cold" mark and my parents Grand Am has a full reservoir... I don't think it's empty or low though because the temp. is certainly not overheating.

Thanks in advance :)

Reply to
PontiacFanatic

Mine says 100, 220, 280. Obviously not linear. Each notch is different. Min run temp is 195/90. Max about 240/115. I try to keep mine under 220. Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open. Better get it fixed pretty quick.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
PontiacFanatic

It should be in the housing attached to the intake manifold. It's the hose TO the rad, not the return hose.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul