Number Crunching

Good to know this group exists. I have a question to pose to you all. I own a '78 Trans Am. I recently laid to rest my original 180 horsepower engine. (The compression was way too low). Rather than opt for a rebuild, I purchased another 400 from a garage a few doors down from where I normally take my 'bird. Anyway, I've learned recently that the motor I did purchase was one from either a '68 Tempest or GTO. My heads have the number 62 stamped on the mid ports. However, question though, where can I find the two letter I.D. number for the motor? For whatever reason, I can't seem to locate it. This I.D should give me an indication of the horsepower,...I think. If anyone has any info that could possibly help me out or clear up this matter, I'd appreciate it!

Brian

Reply to
bcnmason

It's on the front surface of the block, just below the head on the passenger's side. Just start cleaning it off in that area and you should hit all kinds of stuff.

Do you already know about the motor mounts with that combination?

Reply to
Joe

P.S. - there are much more focused groups than this to discuss your 78. Not on usenet, but in forums on the internet.

Reply to
Joe

I'll give it a go again. Wherever those letters are, they certainly aren't very visible at the moment.

No, but I hope you do. The mechanic who installed the motor had a whale of a time putting it in. He made his own engine mounts and to date, I've broken the right side twice. For the time being (on my third right side mounts) I just go easy on the gas pedal until I come across someone who knows more about Pontiac engines and proper installation procedures. If you could shed some light on it I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks, Joe!

Brian

Reply to
bcnmason