Oil Change Techniques

Am I crazy or does anybody else beside me ( & my uncle ) siphon out the remaining oil in the pan after it drains out? I wish GM would put the drain bolt down on the bottom of the pan.

I get close to 4.5 ounce more oil out using a sqeeze bottle with a J shaped hose attached to the bottle.

I also pour clean oil in the filter before I install it.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Eightupman

Are you crazy? I've never gotten 276,100 miles out of an engine! That said, does that extra 1/4 quart really mean that much in the long run? Probably not... I do tend to let the oil run a really long time when I change mine, but I don't try to wipe the pan clean or anything. As far as filling the oil filter fill, it can't hurt - and as long as you can install without spilling it all out!

The thing about this is, that little bit of extra effort probably isn't worth what you put in... There should still be enough oil in the system that there is no real dry start while the filter fills. And the amount of dirt in the 4.5 ounces of used oil will be diluted and cleaned by the new filter as well.

But like I said, I've never gotten 276,100 miles...

Reply to
Joseph Roche

My neighbor across the street has a 96 Grand Am, 240K and still running strong

Reply to
Eightupman

I have a 1994 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 V6 230,000 miles and still going

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
jzwanenburg

I'd rather put new oil into a filter than oil thats already in the engine. The second you put new oil into the engine, its dirty.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

What do you mean by, "clear flood mode?" I'd love to hear more about this as I always hate cranking over the engine for the first time after an oil change. If I can find a way to build oil pressure before starting, I'd be very happy!

Many thanks for any info!!

Reply to
Rutger6559

It only works on fuel injected cars. Turn key on to the run position=20 first, then press gas pedal "all the way" to to the floor and crank=20 (15sec max). No or nearly no fuel gets injected into the engine. However=20 if you got a leaking injector get ready to let your foot of the gas=20 because it will start and take off reving.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Many thanks for the explanation. I'll do that as well from now on.

Thanks again!

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

I had trouble doing this with my 1994 Buick PA and 1994 Silhouette. I'm not sure if has to do with the newer computer or not. This worked great on my 1986 Delta 88 and 1987 Buick GN. I know the '86 Olds and '87 GN used the same computer (just different chips and cal paks). I don't know much about the '94 computers, though.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Yehle

Dont have thick floor mats under your pedals do you? Your computer has to see WOT after you key is on.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

"Harry Face" wrote

You're crazy, Harry.

(pssst.....Harry is anal about his oil changes...hee hee)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

It only works on fuel injected cars. Turn key on to the run position first, then press gas pedal "all the way" to to the floor and crank (15sec max). No or nearly no fuel gets injected into the engine. However if you got a leaking injector get ready to let your foot of the gas because it will start and take off reving.

how is this different from just running the car for 15 seconds?

Reply to
Paradox

Opposite end of the spectrum:

I change the filter every other change. I believe that changing the filter at every oil change is a waste of time & money.

Reply to
Robert Barr

What rpm is the engine turning at when cranking and what rpm is it=20 turning at when it first fires up? If you start an engine and it hits=20

1000rpm and you dont have oil pressure for 3 seconds or more how healthy=20 do you think that is for it? The point is to push air out of the filter=20 and the rest of the system and to make sure oil is coating everything=20 when you start it. The 15 seconds max was just a stopping point so no=20 one overheats their starter motor.=20
Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

SO am I correct in assuming that this is equivalent to removing the coil wire on an old car and cranking the engine?

Basically it sounds like you're just trying to crank the motor at a relatively low RPM while you get oil pressure built up, right?

Thanks!!

Reply to
Rutger6559

No because you still get spark with clear flood mode, just no or little=20 fuel. Careful with coils, they need to discharge their spark somewhere.

Yes.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Ah, yes, obvious point. I should have realized that.

OK, at least I understood that part correctly.

Thanks!

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559