Oil Filter Replacement 2002 SunFire ?

Threaded View

Hello !

Has anyone found a "secret" way to get the oil filter in and out on a 2002
Sunfire.  It's on the firewall side of the block but unless you have a
boneless arm how do you easily get it in and out ?

Thanks &
Take Care
Roy

Re: Oil Filter Replacement 2002 SunFire ?

2.2 or 2.4?

Re: Oil Filter Replacement 2002 SunFire ?

2.2, the screwon disposable one ?

Take Care
Roy

Re: Oil Filter Replacement 2002 SunFire ?

some 2002's had the ecotec as well, assuming its a 2200, reach down from the
top by the power steering pump, isn't too hard to get

Re: Oil Filter Replacement 2002 SunFire ?

Thanks !  I'll give it a go, it's a bear from the bottom :-)

Take Care
Roy

Re: Oil Filter Replacement 2002 SunFire ?

Yeah, they are nasty, aren't they?  I go in thru the wheel
well area.  You can actually reach your arm thru there
and grab it.  Now is someone before you decided to over
torque the filter, it's tough to get it off as you don't have
much leverage.  In that case, you can slide a filter wrench
in thru the same spot and loosen the filter.  You then
slide it out over the right lower control arm area, making
a mess as you go.  Typical GM bullshit.

Ian

Re: Oil Filter Replacement 2002 SunFire ?

Thanks Ian !

I'll have a look at that, thanks for the info !

Wouldn't you like to spend some time with the engineer that figured that was
a good place for a filter ( that in my case needs access every 4 to 6 week )
with a tire iron and a couple of your friends and illustrate his
misunderstanding of that location ?

Take Care
Roy

Site Timeline