Oil pressure concern

'92 Grand Am SOHC Quad Four; 151,000 miles

Drove to Wheeling last night (about 12 miles from home). Stopped at a traffic light and the low oil pressure light began to flicker. It did this a couple more times before reaching my destination. Checked dip stick in the dark and the level looked real low which would be highly unusual as this machine uses hardly any oil.

Bought a quart of oil at the nearby 7-11 and poured it in. Three hours later the return trip home was uneventful. Low pressure light stayed off.

Today checked the oil in the daylight and found that is was overfull (probably by about the quart put in the night before).

Found a pressure gauge in my treasure trove and hooked it up. Oil pressure started out at about 55 psig and slowly dropped off to around 30 psig at idle speed while the engine warmed. Decided to rev it up for a few minutes in park. Much to my surprise the oil pressure was now steady at about 12 psig (it will rise with engine speed).

The manual says the pressure switch will open at less than 6 psig, of course it may not be accurate after all these years.

What do you think is causing my problem?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

12 psi is pretty low. I wonder if the bypass is opening when warm? Have you tried another oil filter?
Reply to
« Paul »

The oil filter is definitely on my mind. Might try changing it just for the heck of it.

The sh> >

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Experimented on my machine today. Duplicated the highway run that produced the flickering oil pressure light. Stopped and checked idle oil pressure. It was 10 psig. Shut engine off. Oil level was normal. Obviously it was not low when I put in a quart of oil the other night, because I had to remove a quart today to get it down to the full mark on the dip stick.

Put on a new oil filter. Exact same results as before after revving the engine in park for about five minutes. No idiot light, but pressure was 10 psig at idle. Checked idiot light on the bench. It appears to close at about 4 psig decreasing as the spec says it should.

Any more thoughts out there?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Pickup tube cracked Pressure relief valve stuck open Totally worn out pump way out of spec

Reply to
« Paul »

Probably has something to do with driving through Wheeling. Kind of like the Bermuda Triangle theory. Stay east, like in Lombard or Villa Park.

LOL

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,558 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Do you have oil around any of the gaskets of your motor. I had a 1995 grand am with quad four. At 137000 miles I sold it because it was leaking oil from either valve cover gasket or head gasket. Never had the oil light problem though unless I was low.

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

No leaks on this machine. Very dry. Virtually no oil consumption form one oil change to the next.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

You must be speaking of Wheeling, Illinois. My Wheeling is in WV. Might be similar though.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

bearings worn beyond help GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Is this the same engine that you worked on a couple of years ago? Any chance coolant could have gotten into the crankcase through the cracked head? How are the cam bearings? If necessary, you could plastigauge the crank. The caps will have to come off anyways to inspect the journals. Check the clearance of the oil pump gears, too. Replace the oil pump pressure relief before doing anything else.

Reply to
« Paul »

This is not the same car as the one I rebuilt a few years ago (your memory is a good one). This one was my other daughter's car until she gave it back to me late last year.

This machine does not use cam bearings. No evidence of coolant loss. No evidence of coolant in the crankcase. Oil usually looks pristine.

What concerns me about the in-car checking using Plastigage is that the crank shaft will be resting on the "bottom" of the main bearings, and the clearance will be on top of the journal. No way to use Plastigage without taking the crank all the way out (unless I'm overlooking something).

The oil pump checks will be relatively easy to do > >

Reply to
Silver Surfer

I have never plastigauged "upside down". Don't really know what the results would be. As you mentioned previously, you could hold the crank up. You could gauge the rod bearings. Start nearest the oil pump. I know of no way to install new mains with the engine in car. Rods you could do though.

« Paul »

First thing to try is an oil change with good oil. On a high miler Quad4 I'd use 10W40 or even 20W50 in the south. If you are in illinois, try 10W40.

I have had problems with some of the cheap "oilchanger" oils like Penzoil and the cheap ESSO stuff up here doing the same thing - get thin as kerosene when warm and loose all oilessure.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
Silver Surfer

What brand of oil do you use? I've used Pennzoil exclusively for several years. Used to buy Kendall, but it's kind of scarce here in West Virginia these days.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Perhaps. I have heard of it being done. My current repair facility (for my own cars) is similar to yours except it is bit warmer out. Please let us know what you find. Paul.

Reply to
« Paul »

No special tool needed. Small screwdriver, light tap with a hammer to get the bearing half started, then spin it out. The thrust bearing is a little tougher.

Steve

Reply to
SSTEIN2

Apparently you have used that method and succeeded. That gives me some confidence.

Reply to
Silver Surfer