OT; Snowy Day = Dumb Driver

Well it was another snowy day in Chicago today. When the snow flies the brain shuts down on some drivers. Here's today story -

Snowing out, somewhat, and just a dusting on the street. Good traction still.

I'm waiting in a left turn lane to turn onto southbound Roberts Road. Speed limit is 35. I'm car # 4 in line, finally traffic clears and we begin to move. Car #1, a Camary LE takes off and is long gone. Car # 2 a lady in a Dodge Stratus, Car # 3, a Ford Explorer & I actually make the green light.

Explorer takes the left lane, the Stratus in the right & me in the right

- behind the Stratus. The Stratus drifts over to the right into a Right Turn Only lane that goes into a mall. Brain alert - I want to go straight ,

Stratus swerves back into the right lane. I debate about blowing the horn, but don't. Running at barely 30 mph. Bonneville about 10 feet behind Dodge. Inching closer hoping the Dodge goes faster. It doesn't .

Looking ahead, I see a real nice " Gap " between the Explorer's rear bumper & the front bumper of the Stratus. I can fit between them.

I move over behind the Explorer who is doing around 40. After I move over to the left the gap between them is closing up - Stratus starts to go faster now. I look over and give the lady " tilted head & rasied eyebrow look " .

A car comes off the side street from the left and gets in front of the Explorer, causing it to slow up. I move over to the right to avoid having to slow down, but I have to slow down anyway because the Stratus decides to slow up now that I'm behind her.

The car in front of the Explorer turns left after only going 1 block. The Explorer speeds back up to 40 mph, so I get back behind the Explorer, who is only about 10 feet ahead of the Stratus. The Stratus starts to speed up to.

The right turnsignal starts blinking on the Explorer and it moves over in front of the Stratus. Ha, ha, ha lady !

I start to pass by the Stratus, The Explorer in slowing up, looking for an address no doubt. I speed up to about 47 mph thinking the Stratus will move over, but she doesn't

I get 1 block away, 2 blocks away, 3 blocks away from them and the Explorer still has the right turnsignal blinking, moving slowly with the Stratus still following directly behind it !. No other traffic is back there.

Finally after traveling three blocks the Explorer reaches 107th Street, it moves all the way over into the left turn lane with its right turnsignal still blinking, and turns left onto 107th Street.

Stupid woman in the Stratus plays her game of speeding up & slowing down to keep me from getting around her. Then when I do get by her, she gets stuck behind the truck when it moves over, but she has ample room to move over & pass it - but she doesn't !

I wish I had some kind of electronic lazer zapper you could aim at a car, pull the trigger & ZAP ! there goes the electronics and the car dies and comes to a halt.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I have a 92 grand prix 3,1 L I have good tires, I hate retard drivers, I say Fuck them, move it or loose it, many ppl do get out of my way, esp. in snow

Reply to
1

let me summarize... everybody else is a bad driver. my car handles great in the snow and i am a great driver. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

You must live on Long Island!!!! !!!!

Reply to
dbx1912DeLeTe_Me

Wierd... I was in Chicago today and this guy in a Bonneville... :-) LOL

The sad part is I see this happen every day. I admit to doing dumb things - it's only been a couple of weeks since I pulled out in front of an 18 wheeler! - but the lack of attention on the highways can be downright frightening! How many times are we running along on cruise, or maintaining spped without it, and pass that same car 8 times in 20 miles?!? BTW, I was riding with one of those once (once was enough). He was all over the place with his speed - he would see a car in the distance, run up on their bumper, slow and follow for a while, then pass and do the same to the next car up. I suggested he should look into figuring out the cruise, he said he didn't need it. I say he did!

Reply to
Joseph Roche

Ya did good, Harry.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

One more thought on this... There was once a time when I was running down I-84 in connecticut with a group doing the old fast/slow thing. I was getting really annoying. Then one of the cars I was running witrh was in the median heading for a wooded area, and not slowing down a bit. I figured he fell asleep at the wheel or something. At some point he tried to get the car back on the highway (and was succesful) while all the rest of us were hard on the brakes trying to avoid his accident. Everything worked out fine that day, but I took that as a cue and got off the highway for a little while.

Sometimes you need to do that, if just to avoid a road rage thing...

Reply to
Joseph Roche

A turret on the roof would work too! :-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

There is a company that makes popup turret equipped suvs. They are designed for urban combat in low threat areas, as I recall they wanted something over

100K for the base model.

Very much the poor mans armored car. Ran across their website while some of us were discussing the Tucker designed armored car.

Reply to
john graesser

Actually, yes. I made sure I have Blizzaks on my Regal, and had no problem in snow. I do have problems with other drivers who have no clue that snow tires are real and are much better than all season radials.

I like the idea that Québec sent up a trial balloon about where snow tires would be manditory in winter.

Reply to
Vuarra

The 100K model is actually the lower end armored SUV. The lower end had only kevlar armor and the claymore option was not available with it from the factory. Aftermarket claymore mods were still reported to occasionally, with heavy usage, result in structural buckling. Also there are government safety concerns of reflected balls damaging tires on non treaded models. Personally I feel it was the company pushing for the treaded option myself. Surveys of owners personally experiencing tire damage due to claymore usage produced few results/respondents and the data was hidden by the company report under "collateral damage". I am of the mind that those few results were the direct result of there being few respondents LEFT who had experienced claymore induced tire failure. For suburban travel, I have no problems with the claymore options and use them myself (aftermarket). I only go into town about once a month anyway for my M$ soylent green ration. ~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

Reply to
Overlord

Interesting point. Years ago I read a study (commishioned by Goodyear, IIRC) that said all season tires were actually better than snows, in all but deep virgin snow. Has this changed? Anyone got any expertise here?

Reply to
Joseph Roche

A lot depends on the ambient temperature. Winter tires and snows have rubber better suited for lower temperatures than A/S tires.

mike hunt

Joseph Roche wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson