overheating

I have a 1989 Pontiac Grand Am. If I go some place it spits out water through the over flo hose. I flushed the system and refilled it with antifreeze mix and it's still doing it. After it looses water every time it adds up and overheats. Do I have to have it professionally flushed? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
rambler60

Even worse, you need to have it professionally diagnosed to uncover the root cause of the overheating.

Reply to
hdd

Thanks for the quick reply - now I'm wondering if I have a blown head gasket. How do I know for sure? Now oil in the coolant or steam out the tail pipe so far as I've noticed. Yes I realize I should have it professionally looked at but hey which would you rather have a bad radiator cap or head gasket?

Reply to
rambler60

One easy way to tell if your getting exhaust gases in the coolant, via a blown head gasket, is to remove the cap on your fill tank before you start a cold engine and check for bubbles after the coolant first starts to swirl.

For what it's worth Gene from Georgia

Reply to
CCTGENE