Oxygen Sensor Stripped! HELP!!!

Anyone know the thread size of an oxygen sensor?

Decided to change the oxygen sensor on a '92 Bonneville SE for poor gas mileage, and the sensor came out with no threads!

Now I got to tap out the exhaust manifold threads before I install the new sensor.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Kirsten

They have tread kits for sparkplugs, I would say they would have something similar for O2 sensors. Check at your local car part store.

Reply to
Sdraijer

They are the same as an 18mm spark plug.

Reply to
clarence

Thanks for the info....

After some digging, I did confirm the thread size to be 18mm x 1.5.

Also found the Heli-Coil repair kit for O2 sensors, but the average cost is about $100! That's a bit steep for a one-time repair! Looked for a place that might rent the kit, but had no luck. I did find a 18.5x1.5mm tap at work, and I lucked-out on this one... Looks like the old oxygen sensor took most of the damage. The exhaust manifold threads were a little beat-up at the top, but once I got the tap started, all went well.

This O2 sensor replacement took a lot longer than I expected, but at least I didn't have to drop the $100 for the repair kit!

Reply to
Kirsten

The new AC Delco Sensor had a very fine coating of a graphite and glass bead anti-seize compuond. I read on another web site that standard anti-seize compounds should not be used because the sensor needs a path to ground thru the exhaust manifold, and a "liquid" anti-seize may interfere with the path and cause false readings.

Reply to
Kirsten