please help

I put my car in park and while the gear went into park, the indicator was still in drive.I turned the car off and tried to restart and it would not crank. I had to use the emergency brake because the engine is still in drive. Is my car a goner. Oh it's a 1995 Pontiac Sunfire.

Reply to
devoted1

I have read and re-read your statement and I still can't figure out what you are trying to say. Why not just use the regular brake pedal to stop the car instead of jamming it into park while driving?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I think he's saying that he shifted into P and thought heard it engage, but the indicator on the transaxle (or whatever PRNDL indicator thingy '95 Sunfire has) indicates the car is still in gear (D). He turned the car off but it wouldn't crank and is acting like indeed it is in D, despite thinking he heard it engage in Park and and to set the emergency brake since it's stopped but in gear. I would imagine the key is locked in the ignition as well, but I'm just guessing about that.

I don't have a solution, but I think I understood the problem.

Reply to
REP

Any recent Trans service?? I had this happen on my 73 Impala. Some part of the shift link inside the trans ( shaped like a rooster head ) came loose in the trans when I shifted into park, the trans remained in drive. When you'd restart it the car woud lurch forward & take off.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 29,612 91 Bonneville LE 304,246
Reply to
Harry Face

It sounds like you have some sort of linkage problem. I am unfamiliar with that car, but check the at shifter and the tranny. good luck

Reply to
LandB

Hello devoted1----and everyone, Mike De Vito here, you place the shifter into park, and the indicator reads drive, and you can=92t re-start the car, chances are, the shift cable attached between the shifter and transmission is broken, and while you can operate the shifter, the transmission remains in drive, this is a shop job, unless you have a good jack, tools and a tech. manual. Mike De Vito

Reply to
Michael C De Vito