Please Identify this Pontiac Badge

Hello. Can any of you guys identify this Pontiac badge:

I won this on Ebay with the intention of mounting it on the license plate bracket on my 2005 GTO. The seller said he didn't know what kind of car it came from, but he thought it might be an Executive or Grand Prix. I can't find any pictures of these 2 cars with this kind of badge, though. It's almost exactly 6" long, it's chrome plated metal with white enamel (which I repainted and have not cleaned up yet), and it has these 2 numbers stamped on the back:

485791 7201

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Reply to
Tony Whitaker

Sorry, I can't give you anything definitive, but it does look like the typical Pontiac badges that came on the trunks of Pontiacs from the seventies, as far as I can remember.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

It's a grille badge from a 1971 Pontiac Firebird, Almost willing to bet on it. The giveaway is the long "legs" on the back - definitely grille - not trunk, hood, or fender. The date-code indicates 1971, and

71 tempests did not say Pontiac on the grille. The Firebird did (not the TransAm IIRC) and so did the big boats - the Catalina for sure, which I THINK used the same part.
Reply to
clare

I think you nailed it!!!

I had looked at Firebird badges before, but they all looked like this one:

(currently for sale on Ebay - 3 days left),which clearly has gaps between each of the letters. I see these badges for sale on Ebay with a black strip connecting the letters. My badge has each letter jammed against the next without any gap at all between the letters. Then I found this image:

It's not a great image, but I think it clearly shows my type of badge - no gaps between letters.

I think you're right. It's an Early 70's Firebird badge.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tony Whitaker

Bingo!!! There's no doubt about these images of a 1973 Firebird:

Thanks again for helping me find this.

Reply to
Tony Whitaker