pontiac bonneville 98

if you blow an engine on a 3 or 4 year old car, is it more likely a)a weakly engineered engine? b)vandals sliced a coolant hose? c)mechanic needed money for new fishing boat? d)other?

Reply to
void2pockets

Define "blow an engine". What car? What engine?

Reply to
FBR

Is it answer A, B, C, or D ? I'd say it might of been letter E. - Owner neglect of routine maintenance and inspection.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,459 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

E) Owner is clueless and an idiot.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I second that. 3800's dont blow unless you got a abusive and/or neglectful owner.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

,
3800's never just "Blow up" without a damn good reason too! Especially one that young. Now with that said....DEFINE: BLOWN? As in engine is a "rock" & just plays dead? Or maybe "blown" as it blows coolant out the tail pipe? hmmmm?

How's the services been on this car? Upkeep? Was there any warnings neglected? CES light on before it happened?

Reply to
DeathRat

FBR Wrote : Define blown, what car? what engine?

Reread the subject line.

After rereading subject line and finding out what car it is, then you may realize the engine is the 3800V6 - the only engine used in this car since 1987.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,459 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Alan,

How do I replace the serpentine belt on a 98 Pontiac Bonneville (3800 engine)? It looks like the belt goes around the engine mount. Does that need to be moved? Is there a good method of doing this?

Raymon

Reply to
Raymon

it was a 1998 pontiac bonneville sse with v8, unknown litres. evidently all the coolant leaked out and ruined the engine. this was about a year or two ago, dont have the car anymore. the $2600.00 i spent for a used engine and interim car rental still rankles as you can tell.

Reply to
void2pockets

thanks for your reply harryface. i'm not making this up when i say that on the day it happened, it was a dark and stormy night and i couldnt tell if the front window was steaming up from the weather --rain, cold, condensation, etc.-- or if as i know now, it was overheating. i would have loved to have been able to get

260,000 out of my pontiac too. i really loved it--beautiful car!
Reply to
void2pockets

hi alan, thanks for your reply. as far as what defines blown?, i'll have to get the original repair estimate and reread the diagnoses. that may take awhile with my filing system.

Reply to
void2pockets

the coolant leaked out and ruined the engine. this was about a year or two ago, dont have the car anymore. the $2600.00 i spent for a used engine and interim car rental still rankles as you can tell.

Unknown litres? more like unknown cylinders as well. ITS A V6! 3800 = 3.8 Litres! The coolant just doesnt leak all out over night, ever check your tire pressure, your coolant level, your oil? You're coolant cant vanish over night, lack of routine checking caused your damage.

Couldnt tell if it was over heating? Every Bonneville 92-99 has a Guage and even idiot lights to warn you of such things. It would of even warned you coolant was low before you even got it hot. But hey keep on driving with the temp light on the dash warning you and the audio tone chiming away...

(i get ticked everytime someone ruins a 3800. more so in a bonneville.)

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Bon - ne - ville

Your reply reminds of of three little gurls that drove down to Myrtle Beach , SC from Maine in 1992. I was at a Shell station and the asked if I'd check their oil. So I did and much to my amazement I find a dry dipstick.

I tell them you need at least two quarts. They go in & buy 2, I put in

2, check oil level, dry dipstick. Put in a third quart and check the level, just touching the tip of the dipstick. I told them you'll need a 4th quart, so they go buy one more, I add it, check the level, now its up to the add line. Put in the 5th quart & all is fine.

I ask the girls, " Didn't the oil light come on while you were driving". They replied, " No " .

I look in the car and see an oil pressure gauge. " Was the oil gauge by any chance on zero" ?

"Yeah, isn't that what its supposed to be"?

Sme kinda Mazda. Hope they didn't ruin the engine. I told them to keep a eye on the level - you may have a bad oil leak to lose all the oil out of the car. I wished them luck and I went on my way.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,459 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Unknown litres? more like unknown cylinders as well. That's a good one Bon-ne-ville, I had to laugh. Yeah I hate seeing a good

3800 go to waste myself.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to