Pontiac Grand Prix- Close to Heating-up

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. It has never given me any problems since I have owned it. Just last week I noticed the temperature gauge in the car looked like it was pretty close to heating up (a notch before the red line). I checked all of the fluids and they were all fine. When the car is in motion the temperature gauge is at mid range (right in the middle) or below that. When I stop at lights the temperature gauge goes up quickly to the line right before being in the red. When I park, the hood is not even hot. What am I looking at? and how much is it going to cost to repair????

Reply to
Jo

Thermostat most likely. Relatively cheap. Letting the engine run hot can be very expensive.

Reply to
T Shadow

a few possibilities

1) thermostat need replaced 2) temp sensor for the fan needs replacement I think you have an electric fan in that car. 3) the fan motor is not working at all (not likely but possible)

cost of doing nothing is probably about 800 dollars fixing it will cost probably less than 200.

Reply to
Les Benn

and there's a fan relay involved too. There is not a temp sender for the fan. There's a sender for the PCM. When the PCM sees hot enough temps, it grounds the relay thus energizing the fan.

With 2007 days away, it's time to flush the coolant > a few possibilities

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Okay, this is an update. On 12/19/06 --I took my car to a mechanic. He said the Intake Manafold Gasket was leaking --$648.00 was the cost. So he proceeds with the repair and i drive my car less than 1 mile home. Today 12/20/06 -I get in my car to go to work and the car is dead; not even the power locks, power windows ---nothing at all operational. Mechanic comes to my house and says ---your battery is dead -"did you leave something on?". NO. I really need advise on what to do. Anybody have any ideas?

"Jo" wrote: > I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. It has never given me any > problems since I have owned it. Just last week I noticed the > temperature gauge in the car looked like it was pretty close > to heating up (a notch before the red line). I checked all of > the fluids and they were all fine. When the car is in motion > the temperature gauge is at mid range (right in the middle) or > below that. When I stop at lights the temperature gauge goes > up quickly to the line right before being in the red. When I > park, the hood is not even hot. What am I looking at? and how > much is it going to cost to repair????

Reply to
Jo

Charge and load test the battery. It's likely shot. The battery in my 2002 GM vehicle died over a year ago.

GW

Jo wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Sounds like the serpentine belt wasn't reinstalled correctly. It drives the alternator(charges battery) and water pump.

Reply to
T Shadow

Check to see if the battery cables are loose. The mechanic may have forgotten to tighten them back up when he was done.

Reply to
David Courtney