Pontiac Montana cylinder heads

A bit of history - my inlaws bought a Chevrolet Venture 2002. At almost

100,000 kms, they needed a new cylinder head. First GM tried to tell them it wasn't covered in the warranty, but eventually they did repair it under warranty.

A couple of months ago a friend, who knew I had a 2002 Montana, asked me if I had any problems with the cylinder head - he said they're "famous" for this problem. I didn't worry about it though... yet.

I took my van into the dealer yesterday to have the brakes checked before the winter and guess what? I need a new cylinder head. $3000 to fix it because I'm past the warranty now. I have to wait to have that fixed, so I can save up the money.

Obviously there is a defect in the manufacturing of these cylinder heads but GM won't admit it.

By the way, had the brakes checked although I did not notice any problem with them. After they replaced pads and rotors and adjusted the rear drums, the brakes feel like crap. I actually went though a stop sign because I could not stop. I will be screaming at the dealer today.

I heard on the news that Kirk Kerkorian has dumped his GM shares - hmmm, could it be he knows they're headed for trouble? Despite being a second generation GM loyal customer for years (I've never bought anything else), this was the last North American vehicle I will ever buy. With the problems I've had on my last 3 GM vehicles, together with the fact that their newest car is being assembled in South Korea, it's time for me to buy a good import.

Has anyone else experienced problems with the cylinder head in either the Montana or the Venture? I want to try and prove to GM that this is their problem.

Thanks for letting me post!

Reply to
suzette.leeming

Without knowing what engine you are talking about your information is almost worthless.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

It's a 3.4 engine.

Reply to
suzette.leeming

Ok. Thanks for the info.

3.4 = That explains it. AFAIK, head problems are fairly rare but they have an intake problem. Same for all the GM 60 degree engines. You might want to put "intake leak gm" into Google.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
Shep

I've seen plenty of head "gasket" failures on these engines. But no actual "cylinder head" failures. And it doesn't cost 3000 dollars to replace both cylinder head gaskets. You also need to have someone who is knowledgable have a close look at the head gaskets. The 3.4 engines have head gaskets with two little tabs (part of the gasket) that stick out from the block/head parting line. It's very common for a very slight leak to develop right at this point, you end up seeing dried up dexcool on these tabs. If this is all you are experiencing, I wouldn't bother spending the money to fix this. But if you have an actual gasket failure, you will usually see the coolant leaking from the front of the right cylinder head gasket. In this case, the gasket has split along the outer edge. This is very common.

As far as your brakes, your experience is common if the tech that did the brake job "didn't" properly machine the rotors. You need a good finish on the rotor in order to have brakes that work properly. You will probably find that the brake feel will improve as you continue to drive it. If not, take it back and get it fixed!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian typed: >LS wrote: >> When I took off the drums I was expecting to see the normal springs >> and etc that I have on my 92 S10. The springs and etc are completely >> different on this thing. Is there a trick to getting them off or any >> instructions I can view to see how it's done?

Hey Ian, I forgot to mention;

I ordered that, but looks like it was superseded. See;

I got the new one, but I haven't had to use it yet. I've been off work since I had surgery on my left shoulder on 11/13. One more week of rest to go. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Interesting, it's two piece now! Should work just like the other one. I wonder why they changed the design?

Whoa! Time to get out of the trade.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

It also covers newer full size trucks, I think is what it says on the packaging.

If I can work part time, I'll do it forever. Full time, though, yeah, agreed. Stupid people and their giant tires on their trucks that have never even BEEN off road, are the bane of my existence. I have actually become quite fond of the Toyota Camry.... and Honda Accords practically get on the lift themselves. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I allways wondered who bought those tools.....we use screw drivers at the dealerships to remove and install the rear brake shoe spring bar.

Reply to
MrGoodwrench

And many of us have done that too. But when the proper tool only costs 30 dollars and it saves you time and grief...why not get it?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai