Pontiac Sign May Be Demolished

{snip }

February 10, 2005 El Monte, CA.

The giant Pontiac neon sign south of the I-10 freeway along Valley Blvd in El Monte is in danger of being demolished. The giant Indian Head is outlined in yellow and red neon with a blue 4 point star. Its a big, beautiful sign that is all original.

Word on the street is that some " Politacally Correct Folks " are offended by it, even though its been the Pontiac logo for years. The Potiac dealer has moved across the street. For some reason Potiac is not allowed to use that logo anymore.

{ snipped from } roadsidepeek.com

a photo of the vintage Pontic sign can be seen on the home page of

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~299, 431 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

There was a very similar sign at Stiedel Pontiac in Cincinnati when I was growing up. I guess they'll make GM change the name of the car too. Pontiac is the name of "Chief Pontiac" who was an Ottawa Indian. Hell if someone names something after you that's a compliment.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that the Pontiac and Oldsmobile divisions had a bet in the fifties about who had the fastest car. If Olds lost, they had to give up the rocket, if Pontiac lost they gave up the Indian. Pontiac lost. Anyone know if this is true?

TP

Reply to
Terry Parker