Pontiac Transport

I am looking into getting a used 95 transport. Are there any issues I should be aware of in this vehicle?

Thanks,

~Robert.

Reply to
Robert C.

Do they all have the same engine?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I had one, 3.8l automatic with od, bought new, warrantee covered the three alternators that died in less than 60,000 miles. Then I sold it. Other than that it was a good vehicle.

Reply to
Bill

One of the best cars I ever owned. Just gave it to my daughter and she still drives it. The only thing I replaced in 10 years were front brakes and battery.

Reply to
tj

Get a 3.8, not a 3.1. I have a '94 with 334,000km on it. The engine was replaced at 275,000 because a hamfisted mechanic, while changing alternator #3, cracked the bypass hose fitting and the original owner overheated it. I bought it and replaced the engine. Rebuilt the tranny a year later. Replaced one front wheel bearing, the other is due to be replaced. The O2 sensor went bad - replaced it and the replacement was no good. Replaced it again - working fine. One thing you WILL replace on the darn things is ball joints. Mine is on at leat the forth set since new.

All in all, a pretty decent vehicle (better than the new Montana)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Hi, I owned a 92 Transport, I bought in 94 with 36,000 miles. It had a 3.1L V6, and was very underpowered. The Van looks small & light, that's not the case, that's most likely why GM offered a 3.8 L in 92 or 93. The Trans went at 89,000 miles. My 3.1 lost 2 head gaskets in 3 years, the last, cost me an overhaul about 110,000 miles... Regretfully, I kept it too long to really get anything for it, so I gave it to a nieghbor kid for some yardwork... ( did I mention the wire harness shorted ? ) Anyway he got it impounded, and it's scrap plastic by now. Too bad, I really like the plastic body panels, the body looked new to the day they towed it.. And the "symetric" styling was great... Maybe mine was unusual, but it turned me off to Transports and Luminas.

Rguess

Reply to
RGuess

The 3.1 was definitely underpowered and unreliable. The 3.8 makes it a totally different vehicle. It's still heavy, and has little inside space for it's overall dimensions compared to my old '90 Aerostar XLT.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca