Pontiac Vibe and Castrol Syntec

Hi all...

I'm looking for a general consensus on using Castrol Syntec 5W50 oil in a 1 year old Pontiac Vibe (130 hp). The car has 25k miles on it.

I have used this oil in my 12 year old Saturn for quite a while now. The car has 250k miles on it and no problems with the engine. But looking at Vibe's manual, there is no mention of using a synth oil but

10w30 and 5w30. I'm just curious if using the Syntec 5W50 year round would hurt the engine in any way.

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
Alex Wiecek

Hi Alex oil is oil use it Syntec has a few more add. and a better base stock. No problem.

Jim.J

Reply to
Jim.J

hi Jim. Thank you for your reply.

That's exactly what I thought, it's just the manual threw me off a little bit. I must say that I'm extremely happy with Syntec. My 12 year old Saturn doesn't show any signs of aging as far as the engine is concerned. I never had to do any valve or piston ring jobs on it. All seals are still original ones.

Thanks again, Jim.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Wiecek

No, it won't hurt.

The only thing that sometimes gets said about synth oil is that it causes leaks, which it patently doesn't. Synth oils typically have a detergent additive in them to remove the varnish and gunk that builds up. Basically, it only uncovers leaky gaskets in that instance.

Anyhow.. I'd use it in the Vibe without any problems. Synth oil generally gives you better wear performance, and if you live in areas that get frigid conditions, you'll love synths because they typicall freeze at a MUCH lower temp than regular or blends... also, the oil helps dissipate heat better in warmer climes.

The only thing that I'd say is go for a true synthetic oil like Mobil

1, I seem to have remembered hear>Hi all...
Reply to
Kmikl