possessed 2000 Grand Am

My son's "new" 2000 Grand Am SE has a weird problem. When his power steering got noisy and then crapped out, we checked the fluid level and it was way low. We filled it, and a day later it was low again. We filled it again (to avoid running it dry, and so he could drive it okay) and took it into our mechanic. The mechanic said they checked it all over and could find no signs of any leak anywhere (and it didn't seem to have lost fluid between last fill-up and arrival at the shop). Now, a few days later, the same thing's happened again. The car's back in the shop, but meanwhile I figured I'd ask if anyone knew of any way it could be losing power steering fluid without leaving any puddle in the driveway or being visible to the mechanics... Thanks.

Reply to
Ron Seiden

On my GTP the fluid was going out the end seal on the steering rack and filling up the "bellows" that cover the steering tie rods. It wouldn't leak out until you turned "full-lock" and compressed the bellows on that side... then it would dump fluid all over the road.

Reply to
David Courtney

Mechanic found it: The power steering pump on this beastie (2.4L dohc 4 cylinder) is mounted on the back end of the exhaust cam. Yes, hard mounted onto the camshaft and right up against the engine. (It looks as though it's just the reservoir, but it's actually the pump up there at the rear of the engine.) The shaft seal was leaking and the power steering fluid was going

*into the engine*. Therefore, it not only left no external leakage signs, it was also slowly diluting the oil. (Apparently the pump shaft seal and the camshaft seal back up against each other.) Typically, the seal was not replaceable, requiring replacement of the whole pump. Oh, well, at least this mechanic found the problem, and we're good now for another 100k or so...
Reply to
Ron Seiden