possible "security" system problem???(grand prix)

i also have a problem that i think may be related to the security system on my 94 grand prix(3.4),some months back my car would not start,turn key and nothing,no crank and the key tumbler would stick and not turn,but my other key would work,also along this time period also the security light would come on for a few seconds at a time or flash while the car was driven,someone told me it was the chip in the key that was bad,so i used the other,now after some time my daughter was driving the car(she still has from time to time trouble with the other key now )and the car went dead(acting like an alternator)it did start up a little later and she got it back home.she tells me the security light will flash from time to time and that she has to "play" with the key sometimes to get the cylinder to turn to start it up.could be that chip is also going bad??? question is -will car just go dead once started and running because of security system??once the car was running for awhile the lights never dimmed like an alt. or bad battery(new battery anyway),if so how do i know it's not the chips bad or the system itself??? any opinions or ideas please???? thanks bob

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

The wires from the ignition switch:

To the VATS module may be broken.

If you need the diagnostic procedure for this, please repost a request for it.

Reply to
Refinish King

If the key won't turn at all, that isn't your security system. Sounds to me like your ignition cylinder is starting to fail.

Reply to
80 Knight

dead(acting

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Oh, you definitely have a security problem, but it sounds to me your lock cylinder is failing too. Guess where the device is that reads that chip in your key? The cylinder. You can throw any properly cut key into that lock cylinder, with or without the chip, and as long as the key is properly cut, it will turn the cylinder. Only thing is without the chip, the car wont start. Take the car to a garage and get it scanned. They will tell you exactly what the problem is, and I bet you end up changing your lock cylinder.

Reply to
80 Knight