Power steering lines Grand prix 1980

Hi all,

I (in the Netherlands) own a Pontiac Grand prix 4,9 ltr 1980. Now I had a serious fluid leak, I found out it is one of the two lines from the power steering fluid tank to the pump itself. Each line consists of metal ends, but in between a rubber hose. I believe one of the two lines was already renewed, because the rubber hose was connected differently than the other (leaking) one. The renewed one has the rubber part connected with standard hose clamps, while the old one seems to be prefab as far as I can see. My question now is: would it be possible to use the old line, remove the rubber part from it, remove the metal part were the rubber was connected to (just saw it off, because this part is much wider than the rest of the line, the rubber hose is kind off squeezed into this wide end) en then fix another rubber hose with normal hose clips between the to metal parts of the line?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Regards, Luc

Reply to
Luc

Paul is right - You can can do whatever you want to the low pressure line. On the high pressure line, you should get a new high pressure hose from an Auto parts store in the US.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for the answer. Stupid question maybe: how can I distinguish the return line from the high pressure line? A difference I can see right now, is that one has a rather narrow rubber hose (that's the one that seems renewed). The other one however is rather wide (that's the one that is leaking). Also: when it's leaking, the fluid squirts out quite strongly, would that be the high pressure line then? TA

regards, Luc

"Joe" schreef in bericht news:FtWRi.820$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.lga...

Reply to
Luc