Power Steering Pressure Question?!

My 00 Grand Am seems to have a large amount of air pressure in the power steering system. What I mean is, when I take the cap off the power steering pump, theres a loud "phssssssst" noise of air escaping. Why is there excess air pressure in the power steering? I'm hoping that this isnt causing any damage to the pump or rack and pinion... please help!

Reply to
waterboy44

Does the steering make any noises when you turn the wheel back and forth?

Reply to
80 Knight