Rant about my Montana

I have a 2000 Montana with 101,000 km. I am the original owner. I go to the dealer for most of it servicing

September 2004: Replace the PCSolenoid to remedy harsh shifts. ($700 Cdn)

January 2005: ABS sensor in one wheel goes south; whole hub must be replaced ($700 Cdn)

March 2005: Same symptoms as Sept 2004. This time just change tranny fluid and filter; they see lots of sediment :(. Doesn't bode well for the future. ($200)

Three weeks later, today April 2005: check ENGINE light is on :(

Verdict this time: EGR valve gone and at the same time they notice spark plug wires corroded, fuel pump and gas filter need to be replaced, ignition coil and to top it off the water pump is leaking! ($1400).

You can see my frustration with this vehicle. And I already had the head gasket problem in the warranty period.

This 'behaviour' by a vehicle just approaching 5 years of age with just over

60000 miles is unacceptable. But really what is one to do?.
Reply to
Doug Mitchell

I work in a dealership, and unfortunately this sort of stuff is par for the course when it comes to these vans. You probably also suffer from poor heat when it's really cold out, eh?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Keep fixing it and drive it another 200,00KM - it's the only way you'll get your money out of it, and it's chaper than buying a new one.

Also consider a different repair shop. I had the bearing go on my '94, putting the ABS light on - and it cost me #315 canadian including tax, installed.

The EGR valve went south on mine too - cost me less than $50 for a used replacement, and about 10 minutes to change it.

I have over 300,000km on mine now - it has the engine replaced at

275000 and the tranny rebuilt at about 285,000

I remember back in the seventies when a 5 year old vehicle was JUNK, and between 60 and 100 thousand miles you were liable to spend as much on the car as you paid for it new. They sure don't build 'em like they used to !!!!! (thankfully).

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

The plug wires, fuel filter, EGR, and tranny fluid are maintenance. It's too bad about the ABS sensor and whatnot, but really, the repairs have been minor. You're just paying way too much because you're going to the dealer.

Plus, what fraction of what they are replacing do you think is actually necessary? You're supposed to tell them when the water pump leaks, not the other way around.

Reply to
Joe

But that hasn't been my personal experience. I guess I have led a sheltered life re car as I had my 86 Toyota Corolla for 14 years. I currently have a Eagle Summit Wagon going on 14 years. Neither have given me the grief of this only 5 year old Pontiac. And the tranny repair done 7 months ago (replacing the PCS) is only the start. I am confident that tranny will need rebuilding this summer....and this car has just over 100 000 km. My expectation is that a 'today' car should, with regular maintenance should not require a new engine or new tranny or similar "major' failure (we can decide what that is later) at less than....say 150 000 km. The only small bright spot is that I have on order a new vehicle from this same dealer. It has yet to be delivered as of the same time my Montana is in the service department. Surely my goodwill (coming to this dealer for most maintenance and buying new vehicles) should be reciprocated? We shall see.

Reply to
Doug Mitchell

I feel your pain. I have a '99, and so far, both sliding doors have fallen out of the track, the HVAC blower only works on setting 3 or higher, the driver's window will not go down in the winter, the airbag warning light went on the day after my warrantee expired, the rear wiper only covers 2/3 of the area it is supposed to cover since day 1 but the dealership is unable to fix. I was surveyed today by Consumer Reports, and to the question "If you had the purchase to make all over again knowing what you now, would you purchase this vehicle?" I answered "Definitely Not Purchase".

Reply to
Zman53