Re: Bonneville stall

> I have a '94 Bonneville with a 3800 engine. Lately after the engine is > warm, the engine may suddenly die. It will easily start up and may not > do it again for days. It usually will do it 2 or 3 times, then not again > for a while. I suspect some sort of sensor. Sometimes the check engine > light will come on. I don't think it does every time. Occasionaly the > engine will "skip" and not completely die. Any ideas? I know it could be > several things but is there a way to check or eliminate them so as to > maybe save a buck?? > > Gary

With that engine and that age of engine, I would suspect crank sensor going bad. But then it could be 23 other things, too.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?py=A4ats?=" =?x-user-defined?Q?=40tex=B0x

First thing that I thought of was the throttle position sensor. But, like the other person mention, it could be many things that would cause this problem. I would start by checking for a stored code, since you said that check engine light came on.

When is the last time that you tuned it up? Specifically, I would suspect the wires, based on experience with my Bonneville.

John '93 SSEi

Reply to
<JHUGENTOBE

I had a battery on my 92 that had an internal short and it would cause my car to stall out and when the engine stops running the gauges of course drop and or do a sweap like they usually would when after starting. Most likely you're looking for something electrical thats causing these issues.

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

It would be something on the primary side of the ignition system i would think if its just flat out dying. If it was plugs or plug wires it would just run bad amoung some of those other things. PCM is a maybe. A scantool might be able to take a snapshot of the everything when it dies.

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

I have had this same sort of problem with my '94 Bonneville. Actually, your post reminded me of the problem, as I haven't had it this year! I forgot about the annoyance.

My Bonneville would start okay, then if I stopped at a stop sign, touched my brakes to slow down, would stall. It always started again. It is just extremely dangerous. I always feared going down the highway that I would touch my brakes, and at 60 miles an hour, my car would stall.

I generally had this problem when it was wet ( foggy, high humidity, after a gentle rain...not a heavy rain). When it happened, I thought it could be because of the gas I was using, but that wasn't the case. I did have the problem checked several times and no-one found anything. It did have the problem for the mechanic, but nothing showed up. We made no mechanical/computer changes to the car.

I do know with my car, that I made one change in my driving habits. I bought the car used, and it was driven in the city before I got it. I live in a rural area, and had about a 5 mile drive to work, then 5 home. I changed jobs and ended up commuting about 45 minutes to my job. After I did that commuting, my problem went away. Maybe I cleaned out the engine on those long daily drives!

Reply to
Barbara Wells