Re: Car actually dies twice after 13 years O' running swell.

What ARE you talking about. Sure the chain will stretch over time, but hell, most of the time you will HEAR it. My Oldsmobile has over 220+ on it, and it has NEVER had the chain replaced. Only fuel injectors, a crank sensor, and the fuel pump.

> > Harry Face wrote: > > > A first ! > > > > The car died twice backing up the drive > > way today. Began to sputter the first time it died. Started it up & it > > was badly misfiring, bounced back into the garage & I shut it off. Been > > getting code 41 for some time now. Figure the magnet on the timing gear > > is breaking up. > > > > After the bike ride I pulled the car out to hang the bike back up & the > > car started & ran fine. > > > > And I'm leaving for Ark. & Mo. on Thursday. > > > > ========= > > Harryface > > ========= > > > > 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE > > 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey > > Doesn't this have the crummy plastic main cog on the timing > gear? It sounds like it needs timing work done, which > is going to run about $700 if the timing chain cover is > mangled. Chain, cogs, sensor(magnet), tensioner, camshaft > button, and maybe the cover. Maybe a MAF as well, as > backfiring more than a couple of times when it's that old > usually shreds what's left of it. > > The problem is - the chain needs to be replaced every 70-80K > miles like a belt on those engines and yet they never tell > you that, so people run the car until about 150K or so and > then the chain is so stretched that the engine won't > run or it slips a couple of teeth(or just comes off). > > I got mine done - $750 total for it all, and it runs > almost like new(replaced plastic and teflon parts with > steel and bearing parts, so it's indestructable but a > bit noisier). > > In any case, it's not a job for your local mechanic - get > the local GM garage to look at it as they have all the computers > and sensors to properly diagnose it the first time. In my > case, the two garages I went to had no idea. After two weeks > of hamfisted attempts to figure it out, it took the Buick garage > exactly 2 hours to figure it out and start repairs. >
Reply to
clevere