re: coolant in cyl - Pontiac 3400

Although the "common" failure of the intake gasket causes coolant to get into the oil, it IS possible for an intake problem to dump coolant into a cyl. More likely a head gasket or head - but I would not rule out the intake out of hand.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Yes, I'll agree it's possible for intake plenum to crack and deliver coolant into the cylinders, but I've never seen this and is so large a longshot that there are much better avenues for investigation.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Clarification: I've never seen the plenum crack on this engine. I've seen it numerous times on the 3800. This enging has an aluminum plenum. The newer 3800 has plastic.

Reply to
hyundaitech

No, it's not "possible" for an intake gasket problem on the 60 degree v-6's to dump coolant into a cylinder. The intake passages are nowhere near to the cylinder runners. If you actually look at these engines while they are apart (which I happen to do on a daily basis), you will see why this can't happen.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai