Re: Ex-GM Fans now Dogging GM?

From reading this newsgroup and talking to others I come in aquaintence > with

> it seems that old GM fans are now starting to whisper distgruntlements > about > GM. Not that the cars are neccesarily bad, but more about what GM is > offering which dosnt seem to be all that much unless you want to settle > for

That's pretty much it. They don't sell anything that I would buy (except for an ordinary old pickup truck). And that's saying a lot, for the world's largest automaker. I would drive an old GM car, I just wouldn't bother buying a new one. They're too boring. I'm not interested in a Sport Utility vehicle, as I find them incapable of either sport or utility. I'd rather have a cheaper, more useful truck.

GM's big mistake, in my opinion, was the failure of their rear-drive cars. All their cars were basically rental units, or you might think of them as cars made for women (I'm not one). What caused that, of course, was CAFE, but they gave up too easily. When the revival of exciting cars began, they didn't bother to make products for it. Cadillac is the exception - they were allowed to build a modern rear-drive car. None of the other divisions are allowed to compete with what I would buy. GM has tons of moder rear-drive models overseas, but Americans don't really want that.

Reply to
Joe

It might have beem more clear to say GM was trying to rid itself of its enthusiasts. They really just want to make cars for people who don't want to get excited about a car. So that explains why the "fans" are unhappy.

Reply to
Joe

Funny, my Chevy Z28 is RWD (as is of course the Pontiac Firebird). It is true they were discontinued after 2002, but the Corvette is still there. It is sport/sport vehicle, and does sport quite well. GM pickups do utility quite well I might add.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

That would mean they had a plan - they dont

There is an unbelievable number of bad examples sent out of the factories every day

No marketing or advertising efforts in the world can convince people that they should buy a car that will brake down on them when they most need it

Reply to
gosinn

Hey...that's exactly what I want, a car that will "brake" when I most need it.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

LMAO! Good eye Dave!

Reply to
Cool Jet

No mater how some my try to spin it, statically ALL vehicle manufacture make between 1% and just over 2% of their vehicles that prove to be problematic. GM is no different than any other vehicle.manufacture in that regard. That is why they ALL offer a warranty, even RR ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is not true of all American buyers. The best selling luxury and sporty type vehicles are, and have always been, RWD.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Maybe they do offer a warranty, but the problem is when they make it just through warranty then have constant problems. My '97 blazer never had a problem until it had 40000 miles on it! Now my daughter is going through the same problems with her 2000 Jimmy, after three years of building them they still didn't get it right. The Dex-cool joke of an anti-freeze is another good example, it eats away at intake gaskets and makes radiators rot out. But they will not recall them or admit to the mistake because it would really cut into their pocketbook and drive down their stock even further.

Reply to
The Adams Family

I know what you mean, some times they go bad during the warranty and you still end up paying the bill. My Honda blew an oil seal while my granddaughter was driving on the interstate. She saw the red light but decided to drive 20 miles to a garage to get help. Honda would not pay for the new engine. ;)

mike hunt

- Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Reply to
Mike Hunter

problematic.

Statistically, you need to define what 'problematic' means. (Sounds vaguely Clintonesque, doesn't it?)

Statistically, over the past decade or so, unemployment figures were based upon the number of individuals drawing unemployment benefits. When those benefits ran out, the individual fell off the chart and became a nonperson.

Does your problematic population deal only with problems covered under the warranty provisions? Or, as in the case of GM, are the intake gasket problems and plenum problems defined as 'nonproblems' since a goodly portion of them fail after the fairly short warranty period?

Reply to
<HLS