Re: Grand Am faulty gas door - Tony & GEOFF

GW

Safety Studies shown having the Fuel Filler neck on the Right Rear quarter panel is the safest location.

Mine is on the LH side, a manual, non locking door.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

That's the only reasoning I can think of it being there, since it's away from oncoming traffic, or however else it's safer. It's a darn good thing I am aware where the passenger side front corner is at all times, or my car would be getting a face lift everytime I went to fill up!

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Safety? I use the pump that's on MY side of the vehicle where the fill door is. How is walking around the car to the opposite side safer?

GW

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

You know, I think it's all upon the manufacturer of the car ... My olds, and my Pontiac have the filler door on the left side of the car, but my grandparents Nissan has it on the right ... If you think about it, it's safer to just walk to the pump, put in the nozzle and fill it up ... then having to get out, walk around the car (near those crazy ass people pulling into the pumps coughharrycough) and then put gas in the car ..

While we are on the topic of fueling your car .. anyone else get shocked after they get out of their cars and touch the door to close it?

Reply to
clevere

GW

When I said Safety was a reason gas filler necks are ( Or were ) on the right rear quarter. I read long time ago some safety study showed a car was less likely to have the RR quarter area damaged than the LR side.

I think some Insurance Companies also gave their 2 cents worth saying the RR quarter was hit less that other area's of the car.

Its all Statistics anyway !

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Not anymore. Bought a can of "Static Guard" at grocery store (it's in laundry isle) and sprayed seat.. GW

clevere wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh