Re: Kids and Cars promotes Stupidity

Link to article:

> My commentary: > > First of all, the deaths of those 23 children is tragic. > > That said: > > You're not going to make parents less stupid by making objects more > idiot proof. One point the car manufacturers made (big 3 American)

Don't forget, this is the the same country that we allowed a person to sue for a cup of coffee being hot and not labelled with a CAUTION on the cup.

I am a bit amazed the last time I looked at a new 12 gauge shotgun that the muzzle did not have a orange warning label stating "This end AWAY from your face".

I think we should also put warnings on toilet seats "Rectums only, keep head out, unless inside a rectum".

Reply to
NoOne

Good! Don't leave them in my car either please.

GW (sorry, couldn't resist)

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

It was partly in jest - Mainly because of the belief that somehow you can legislate enough that common sense isn't needed.

I read your entire post, and respectfully, I understand your position. However, I have to say (and call it ignorance if you like) that I do not beleive there are nearly as many events as your post implies. Not to say that one isn't already too many.

Your qoute:

Makes it sound as if this is happening wholesale.

At the same time, a properly restrained child could not even get there head out a window in most cars. (another common sense item).

Yes, if you are void of common sense, don't utilize your lockdown, and don't open your car door after you remove the key. Really, a lot of the point is that the car companies are already addressing the issues. Lock down switches at the driver for all windows. Many cars have already switched to the pull up design, etc. My GM car has a lockdown switch, and the pull up style window switches.

All cars with interlock (I believe) already have lock down switches, if not always, they do in the last couple of model years.

Having worked 7 years in a hospital ER, I have seen many tragedies. Never this one. That's not to say they have never happened, or almost happened, but it is not happening wholesale as is implied by the 23 deaths and perhaps "many more" Kids and Cars would have us believe.

Again, this is not happening wholesale as your statements again imply.

Reply to
wrestleantares

yeah yeah... darwinism in action.

Reply to
Paradox

There's been 23 deaths nationwide in ten years....how many have you 'seen' exactly?

With 24 years in law enforcement, I have seen zero...but then I don't live in Los Angeles where stupid things seem to happen a lot more frequently.

Lee

Lee C. Carpenter

And a pain in the neck! Boy, do I hate those idiotic switches! Why not make the nice, intuitive, kid-killer switches recessed instead? Why further foreign solutions when GM already has a better one in place in many newer models?

These pampered folks from Kids and Cars haven't got inside an American car in a while, other than in the cab through Broadway... :-)

Reply to
Neo

Because the basic, compact Focus is sold as a mainstream, mid-size sedan in Europe and priced differently.

What's not truthful about it?

When it would be impossible to reach the switch, right? You surely need these stupid laws then...

About $20 to 100 more per car. If the buying public would frwon at such amount, it's because the buying public rightfully believes that only an idiot would be killed or allow one to be killed by a power window.

And, no, neither you, nor Kids and Cars and much less the government knows better what's better... f o r t h e c h i l d r e n . . .

Yeah, poking a head out of the car should be outlawed... Wait, isn't it already and yet idiotic parents allow it to happen?

Why not outlawing kids being left in cars under 100F sun under the penalty of life? Now this I'd like to see!

Tragic? Certainly, but more so parents that in search of exculpation try to blame others instead of assuming their lack of responsibility...

Reply to
Neo

Maybe we just need five point safety harnesses in the back seat so as to strap the little monkeys in and prevent excapades around the interior that result in death!

If you're stupid enough to let your kids clamber about in the car, leave them in the car unattended or otherwise allow retarded behavior, you need thrown off a high cliff into a large mound of leprechaun manure.

And if power windows are so evil, why is it the *EVIL* GMs haven't taken my life? None of the Commodores I rode in as a youngster with power windows ever cut my freaking head off because I was never allowed to jump around in the car in the first place! Besides, Australian GMs DO have that resistance-down crap.

Don't be suprised if the new GTO does too - although I'd really love to see a small child jumping around inside a new GTO, if that happened the owner needs a bullet, that's one helluva nice car to have a kiddie traipsing all over the clean new interior of! Mmmmm, muddy seats.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

As a small child I used to ride in a 60 Buick Electra 225 4 door hardtop standing up on the center armrest in the back seat.

When I got older & taller we got a 70 Cadillac. I rode, seated on the armrest in the back seat.

My brothers once rode sitting on the window sill of the back doors of a

50 Buick Roadmaster. The windows went down flush with the top of the door at that time.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~262,500 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Actually, that would cause even more confusion, since toy guns have orange bands at their muzzles indicating that they're not real. Imagine the litigation if someone shoots their face off, thinking the gun was a toy because of that warning orange tag? :)

Reply to
Isaiah Beard