Re: Pontiac GP - ongoing brake problem

>"Gershon Shamay" wrote > >> This car has no park brake lever. It has a parking brake pedal which you >> must pump 2-3 times to engage the parking break. It does the job on my >car, >> but there's no obvious way to measure whether it's too lose, too tight or >> just right. > >Sure it has a park brake lever...actually two of them...I was >talking about the levers at the rear calipers. > > > The only part of the piston that is [barely] visible is its tip which >pushes >> the brake pad metal backing. Are you suggesting I try to hold this round >tip >> with a screwdriver so it won't retract into the caliper ? >> I'm curious to hear whether anyone else performed this adjustment >> successfully and how exactly they did it. I thought the caliper piston is >> self-adjusting over time, moving in more and more as the brake pad wears >> down. > >I just told you how to do the adjustment. For the record...I've been >a licensed technician for about 23 years....almost all those years >in GM dealerships. I've performed that adjustment successfully >literally hundreds of times. I've had to do it to Camaro/Firebirds, >Riv's and Toronado's...W-bodies like yours...and some Fiero's. >They all had similar type of rear brake setups. I can't tell you how >many times that procedure has "fixed" a low brake pedal. Maybe >it won't on your vehicle, but I try to go by what my experience >tells me...as I can't see your vehicle in real life. > >I'd show you some pictures of how to do it....but I don't happen >to have any at the moment. My explanation will suffice, if you >take into account that I'm talking about the "levers" at the rear >calipers. By the way....yes...the pistons are "supposed" to be >self adjusting over time, but they don't on these cars...except >maybe when the car was brand new. > >Ian >

You sound quite savvy on these Pontiacs, perhaps you could think about mine. It's '88 Grand Prix and has the too soft pedal, when I got it just a few months ago, it was really great, but then.......................it's high mileage like 167k and doesn't burn oil, and I have to keep it going. The brake indicator is on all the time, but it's pointed at the rt frnt. Any idea? TIA. greg

Greg

gregfarr