Re: Should I buy a GM? or should I jump ship?

Per Johnny Action:

do what Lee Iacoca did in >the early eighties to bring back chrysler and that was he worked as the CEO >for a $1 annual salary until back on their feet, in other words he had faith >in his efforts.

And after Chrysler got back on its feet, Lee Ia-coo-coo used the Company as his personal cash cow to drain up to 20% of the annual net profits as his salary. Don't look to that leech as an example.

Nothing will save GM unless they offer products the competitors won't or can't, in terms of economy, durability, and reliability. While everyone in the business brags over these terms, GM must replace their entire engineering department with hundreds of Russian ex-aerospace people to build a new vehicle from the ground up, using aircraft principles at competetive automotive costs. It can be done. It must be done or GM is finished.

One example: A '54 Chevy starter motor remove and replace is a 15 minute job. How long does it take on your late model G.M. car? Call the dealership and find out how many hours labor he charges to do what USED TO BE a simple job. That's what I am talking about. Economy is not all miles per gallon.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

See down below.

Everything is more complex these days, isn't it?

No, but foreign autos can be every bit as hard to work on as US autos and more expensive to boot as well.

And after all, its isn't 1954, with gas costing less then .25 cents per gallon either.

Reply to
Hardpan