Re: The New Chevy Malibu...Is it REALLY New?

I don't see the logic in bringing out "new" models every couple of years. Piper and Cessna don't and it's because once an aircraft design is perfected, there is no need to alter it for decades on end. Altering a perfected design can only make it worse. Cessna and Piper know that, but the losers at GM don't. (I'm referring to the all the ex-toilet bowl draftsmen now in charge of new product development)

Making it worse is exactly what has happened to cars. My late GM sedan scrapes and bangs on every dip; the '55 models didn't. You could make emergency field repairs on a '55, but no mechanic in the world can do a fuel pump R & R on any of today's models since it's inaccessibly hidden inside the gas tank. Crash a car today and you throw it (the whole car!) because the frame will buckle thanks to the dimples and creases; even a tap from the screw heads of a license plate holder will gouge the "bumpers" causing thousands in repairs.

What can the public do to bring the car makers to their senses? Stop buying their lousey products, that' what.

Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info

George Orwell

Yeah, bring back the 12 mpg, leaded gas burning tanks that handle like school buses and a 25 mph crash barely dents the bumper but all the occupants die! LOL

Reply to
David Courtney

A 55 chevy may be a classic and easier on the eyes but aint no way in hell was it better made or as dependable as a modern day car. A 55 chevy at 75k miles would have gone through 3 mufflers, 3 carb rebuilds, countless plugs and points, shock replacements, axle seals, engine leaks and other failures. Todays cars are much more dependable even though extremely boring to look at right down to the colors.

Reply to
Dick Biggs

A 55 chevy may be a classic and easier on the eyes but aint no way in hell was it better made or as dependable as a modern day car. A 55 chevy at 75k miles would have gone through 3 mufflers, 3 carb rebuilds, countless plugs and points, shock replacements, axle seals, engine leaks and other failures. Todays cars are much more dependable even though extremely boring to look at right down to the colors.

Reply to
Dick Biggs

Maybe you'd be happy if GM brought back the 55 Chevy?

You're an idiot. Newer cars save lives, the body and what you call a frame (Uni-Body) absorbs the energy.

So piss off, and drive your puerto rican feefty fibe cheby, and remember. The language in here is EEEEnglish.

Stronzzo di merda.

Reply to
Refinish King

Perhaps the style does not change much, or the airframe, but there are many changes in electgronics. Getting new configurations approved for the low volume of aircraft compared to cars is very costly also.

I've changed many a fuel pump on my '50's and 60's vintage cars, but my

90's and newer have never let me down. Nove have ever had a fuel pump replaced, even in 200,000 miles of driving.

Cars are many times safer for the occupants though. My car has six airbags and many other safety features unheard of back then.

The absolute worst car sold today is far superior to the best cars of the

50's. Safer, much more reliable, more features, comfort, better handling, less maintenance. Plugs last ten times longer, oil change intervals are 5 times longer, tires last four to six times longer. The muffler on my '91 Regal lasted 16 years.

I just swapped out the 7 year old battery on my LeSabre. Could have gone longer, but don't want to take a chance with the cold weather. How long did that 6 volt in the Chevy last? How bright were the headlights?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

Sorry my friend, but you gotta get with the times. Today's cars beat ANYTHING produced in the era in which you refer, hands down, and will KEEP YOU SAFER in ANY wreck than the boats of old, producing the best mileage ever known, with the most horsepower. Yeah, you're right, it was hard to tear up the bumper on my Dad's 60 Desoto, but at 8 mpg, I can't even imagine going backwards just to get that big chrome bumper.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Believe me, Piper and Cessna definitely WOULD produce new models were it not for the incredible COST involved in producing a new aircraft, and that because of the regulations and duplication of systems required to produce an airplane, along with huge risks because of our litigation crazed society. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

don't feed the anonymous cowards