rear end makes noise

Hello again.

Got another question about this 87 firebird I'm looking to buy.

The original owner put in a new rear end (not sure what gear ratio) . When I test drove it, it make a kind of whirring noise. The current owner says that a lot of aftermarket rear ends make noise when installed but are otherwise fine. Is this a known issue with this model Firebird?

TIA!!! ^JR^

Reply to
^JR^

Sounds to me like you need to "run" not walk...away from this deal.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

hehehe thx

^JR^

Reply to
^JR^

It's a known issue with rear ends. It's difficult to get them to run quietly. They have to be adjusted by somebody that knows how, and it takes patience and trial and error. Most people wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Joe

My rear end makes noise, too. It's more of a 'whooshing' sound than whirring. Then, there is usually a smell associated with it as well (usually immediately following the sound).

Reply to
InjunRAIV

Smell of burnt rubber perhaps? :-)

Reply to