Remote start

My sister has a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix. If she uses the remote starter, the radiator fans quit working. This has happened twice. The first time she took it to the dealer and they charged her $195.00 to fix it. It has happened again and she hasn't fixed it yet. Any suggestions......I know.......don't use the remote.

Reply to
Joe

As in it quits working even after she has had the key in and is driving normally?

I don't think one of the ACC wires is getting power, check the relays for the remote start.

"Joe" wrote in message news:MOA9e.4100$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com... My sister has a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix. If she uses the remote starter, the radiator fans quit working. This has happened twice. The first time she took it to the dealer and they charged her $195.00 to fix it. It has happened again and she hasn't fixed it yet. Any suggestions......I know.......don't use the remote.

Reply to
Paradox

remote start.

Any remote start I have installed or worked on provides power in parallel with the ignition switch, so if the relay goes bad it just doesn't work - and has no effect on operation with the ignition switch. Now, if it has an immobilizer module installed, it's a different story - the immobilizer relay can fail intermittently open. Thing is, generally the immobilizer only opens the ignition circuit, not the accessory or auxilliary power circuit, so it still does not make sense.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

As in it quits working even after she has had the key in and is driving normally ?

*************************************************************** Yes, it just stops working. It must burn out something. She is looking for the last repair slip so I can see exactly what they did to fix it last time.
Reply to
Joe

Joe...

The remote start has nothing to do with the fan not working.

The remote start is not connected to the fan. When the car remote starts, the 'remote start brain' activates relays that energize the cars wiring at the key cylinder. Its the same as you putting in your key and turning it, only remotely.

Stop blaming something you don't understand. Take it back to the shop and have them replace the defective part they installed.

Reply to
Masterson

They could have completely cut one of the ACC power wires, thats why I was asking.

Reply to
Paradox

If they had completely cut one of the ACC power wires, the car would have multiple failures. One ACC wire has several power accessories connected to it. Not just one fan motor.

Reply to
Masterson

Some installers like to look smarter than they really are, and make a complicated installation when a simple one is better. Some remote start units have several extra relay control circuits, and these "rocket scientists" think they have to use them. They'll put a N.O. relay into a circuit that gets energized by the remote starter, as well as by the ignition switch. This setup is SUPPOSED to be used as an immobilizer -but try to tell that to some of these hotshots.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce