Safe to drive 99 Grand Am????

We have a 99 Pontiac Grand Am with 99K miles and it has been using coolant for about a month now.

Adding coolant only seems to have prolonged the inevitable. Now it used 1/2 gallon for the last 30 miles and the service engine light has come on. The car also is running poorly. It is missing badly. I want to take it to AutoZone to get a diagnostics. Is it safe to drive? Any idea why it is now missing? The oil is clean and exhaust appears OK.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

I should mention the car has a 3.4 liter V6 which is known for intake exhaust gasket problems

Reply to
Keyser Soze

Sounds like there might be a leak. You should have it checked out. Its probably safe. I don't think it will blow up and hurt people.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Unsafe At Any Speed - Ralph Nader 1964

Reply to
Harry Face

Is there a coolant leak? Do you see coolant under the car when it runs?

Reply to
anotherbob

If you do not see coolant under the car check your oil. If the level is high and discolored you very well may have a blown head gasket.

Reply to
anotherbob

It's your manifold. Should run $600-$700.

Reply to
gemini67