Save the floors in your used cars that your going to drive another few years

Just a friendly reminder to remove the car mats from your vehicles floor and leave them off. This allows the carpets to dry and helps prevent rust. If you really want to stop your bucket seats from breaking through the floor, then pull up the carpet and paint the floor every two years. It's not very thick metal, and even with rubber matts over the winter you've got wet carpet.

Reply to
Erness Wild

Erness Wild

Uh... You don't own a modern (1990's and up) car, do you?

Reply to
Paul

Cool! My 1992 was somewhat easy get at the floor metal. Removing the seats, console, computers, door step guards, side panels, sound proofing, carpet, matting, etc. to get at the metal only took one full day. But the 2006.... Don't think i will even try.

Reply to
Paul

Ah, well you would be doing it the hard way. A carpet installer would cut the carpet in panels around the floor pan on three sides and lift it up. Then repair the rust (holes) repaint and voila, the carpet goes back down in the same place it was cut from since one edge is still attached. I have taken the whole carpet out once, because I wanted to make sure about how much damage was occouring. (But then cut four panels later) Good thing I did. Unlike Studebaker floorpans* (remember those?) modern floor pans are not painted very well originally, and they have no drain holes to let water out, because of letting fumes into the car. However a small hole in the lowest part of the floor pan with soundproofing and carpet, can't allow fumes into the car. Anyway, when your seat brackets rip through the floor and you're sitting on a lean to one side, you can't say you weren't warned.

  • also sloped down from the tranny hump to the door sill, letting water run out of the car.

Paul wrote:

Reply to
Erness Wild

I have had multiple cars and never had an issue. I had a 1988 Toyota Corolla that had more than 560XXX kms on it. I bought it used and have never done this. The car worked great all the time I had it and the guy i sold it to is still driving it with no problem. My Wife's car is a 2000 Camry with almost 200XXX kms on it and never had a problem with the floorboards. The car is dealer maintained for everything. Once a year we bring the car to the dealer for an overall inspection and never was it an issue. if your car does this, than maybe you should watch how much water you bring into the car with you. The only time I ever heard of this happening was on my fathers old '76 chev. Sierra, and that was after 25 years. Hope your cut up carpets are doing well!

Reply to
anthonyzadeh

Hey, that's good to hear. My current car is 23 years young and I repainted and repaired the floor twice now. I guess "my bunch" tracks more snow and slush into the car than normal. I now have a good size hole under the brake pedal. Easy fix now that I can just prop the carpet up. My car before this one rusted out on rear passenger side. The one I had before that was okay. I get the transmission fluid and filtre done yearly and that guy usually lets me know what happening underneath. I watch the water, but snow and slush you can't do much about, even with good floor mats.

Reply to
Erness Wild

The backside of the carpet in my Bonneville is rubber coated. I could spill a gallon of water on it and it won't touch the floor pan.

Not a problem here, but thanks.

harryface

91 Bonneville 316,799 05 Park Avenue 81,868
Reply to
Harry Face