SC'd 3800 Heater hose fitting

I just had the plastic heater hose fitting on my lower intake to the waterpump break. My Bonneville is a 93, and I found a piece from HELP that is supposed to fit the 95 up. It looks identical to the parts I have removed, I have a piece in the manifold, and cannot tell if it is molded in or threaded in, if it is threaded, I will remove it and install the new piece, if it is molded I will tap threads into the remaining plastic and install a hose barb. But I need to know if the hole is threaded first, any one here know?

Reply to
The Carrolls

If you're talking about the hose barb connector just below the SuperCharger pulley, I had to replace mine several years back on a 94 SSEi. It actually broke when the dealer was attempting to replace the suspected leaking hose. It snapped off when they tugged on it. They wanted to remove the supercharger to repair at a cost of $300. I bought a internal pipe wrench and remove the threaded part of the hose barb. Yes it is threaded. I also bought a brass hose barb and installed instead of using the original plastic part. Theses two items are available at most hardware or home improvement stores in the plumbing section.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Jeff & Carol

I thought my buddy at the Chevy Parts Dept said GM replacement pipes are either aluminum or steel like they were in the early 90's ( Like my car has ). I guess they had so many break and so many complaints about them being made out of plastic

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

SuperCharger

Reply to
The Carrolls

The replacement part from "the General" is also made of metal now. The part on non SC'd engines gets damaged when ham-fisted mechanics get sloppy changing alternators. My Trans Sport required a replacement engine at 274,000Km because of that. The damage was done a couple days before I bought it, blown engine and all.

Reply to
clare