Serpentine Belt Replacement 98 Bonneville

I have a 98 Pontiac Bonneville with a 3800 engine and I need to replace the serpentine belt.

What is the best method of doing this? It looks like the belt goes around the engine mount. Is this correct?

How do I safely remove it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Raymon

Reply to
Raymon

"Raymon" wrote> I have a 98 Pontiac Bonneville with a 3800 engine and I need to replace the serpentine belt.

the engine mount. Is this correct?

You will loosen the two upper mount nut/bolts, one is behind the power steering pump pulley, remove the two bolts that hold the ps pump to the block thru the access holes in the pulley. Move the pump aside just enough to get at the mount bolt/nut. Then go below, and remove the nut on the lower mount leg, remove the stud (it has an inverted torx head) and the spacer. Belt will now come out. You loosen the two upper mount bolts/nuts in order to allow the weight of the engine to spread the lower leg of the mount away from the block just slightly so that you can easily remove and re-install the spacer.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Holy shit! I'm never buying a '98 Bonneville!

Reply to
Clem

Clem.

Have no fear, that monut blocking the belt has been eliminated.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~276,905 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Yo, what's wrong with a 98 Bonneville? That was a good year, no?

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Hell yeah its a good year. The belt isnt that hard to replace and how often do you think it has to be done for that mater? Not often. You would haft to have absolutely no mechanical skills what so ever to not be able to change a belt on one of those.

1998 B> Yo, what's wrong with a 98 Bonneville? That was a good year, no? > --
Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Yeah, I had a 97 Bonneville SE. I changed the original serpentine belt up around 100,000 miles & I still could have probably gotten more miles out of it.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

you really don't want to know how many miles i had on my original belt, which was being rotated every so often with my two spares in the trunk.......all told I think it had close to 150,000 miles on it before I threw it out last summer when I finally bought a new belt.

It had the usual amount ofcracks across the ribs.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~276,925 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face