Shakes then dies

I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am (4 tech) that has recently started acting up. Right now I could take it out on the highway and drive it for 200 miles but the minute I come to a stop sign it shimmies then dies, starts fine but the minute I put it in gear it dies again. The only way I can get it to come out of it is to put it in low real fast and it's alright. I put it in reverse once and it really kicked into gear-won't do that again. I've read some of the other posts and they mentioned loose vacuum hoses and catalytic converter, but with the kicking in so violently I don't know. Anybody know what this is?

Reply to
rambler60

The transmission torque converter has a lock-up feature onece you reach a certain speed, probably somewhere around 45 or so, to improve power transfer and feul economy. This directly couples the engine to the transmission and is supposed to unlock once you go below the lock-up speed. Yours is failing to unlock, causing the bucking and stalling. Like trying to stop a standard shift car without depressing the clutch.

Not sure of the fix, but sounds like your problem exactly.

Howard

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
Weird

thats exactly what is wrong.it's called a tcc solinoid or swith,it's useally located on the external side of trans,no to bad on most cars to change,it acts like stated above like a manuel trans when you let clutch out too fast while changing gears,it shakes bad and putters and dies,

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

I just had this exact problem on a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix just this past week.

I could drive fine, but at stop signs it would die.

It needed a "manifold sensor"..

You are probably running real rich after the 200 miles and it sets the choke/idle wrong.

It cost me $100 with parts and labor from a NAPA certified tech.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
John A. Bailo

TCC is not unlocking. That's pretty unusual on a 4T60/65. It's also a somewhat of a major operation to replace.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thanks for all the responses-I know it's transmission. I just hope it leans towards the cheap fix......thanks again......Burr

Reply to
rambler60

it's transmission,but nothing that calls for the trans to be removed fromcar,most people with some mechanical knowledge can get a manual and replace it themselves,it can be time consuming and the part useally runs around $30 to maybe $100 or so at the extreme. good luck,

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

The part is around $50. This is a 4T60E/65E trans. IMO, it would be pretty difficult for a person of average mech skills with average tools.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul