Shifting from drive to neutral when moving

Does continual shifting from drive to neutral and back cause any long-term damage? What I mean is continually shifting into neutral when approaching stop signs and red lights?

Reply to
Tim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
Tim

No, but it doesn't help anything either. There is no friction while stopped in drive. I do it a lot myself because automatic transmissions annoy me. I routinely put it in neutral at stop lights or pull it out of overdrive when decelerating.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Does it glide better in neutral? Are the RPMs less.

My old car used to seem to idle smoother when in neutral so I would put it in neutral while at a stop light so it wouldn't stall. It was an auto too.

I was just reading about hypermilage-ing and wanted to see if that would help at all.

Reply to
Tim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

Back in the earlier days of fuel injection, ECMs would shut off fuel completely during deceleration. Leaving it in gear while slowing down would basically let the car's momentum keep the engine spinning with no fuel use at all. Unfortunately, that causes a spike in NOx emissions so new cars keep dumping in fuel even when decelerating. Even worse, my '99 Grand Cherokee steps up the idle control motor when I shift down into 2nd - conveniently eliminating the additional engine braking that I wanted.

Don't really know. Try it both ways and find out. Get a car with a manual transmission. That makes a real difference.

For mileage, make sure your tires are inflated properly. That makes a huge difference and air is cheap.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

When I used to commute over back country roads (hills, turns, turns at the top or bottom of hills, etc.) in winter (snow, ice, hardpack, freezing rain, black ice, etc.) in an old rear wheel drive barge, I frequently put it into neutral before trying to brake so that the rear (drive) wheels would brake the same as the fronts. (Left in drive, the fronts would tend to lock up first on slippery surfaces since they don't have the engine trying to keep them moving.) It may have helped (I never slid much at all), but after a couple of years of that I needed a new transmission. Only thing I can think of is wearing out the clutches and actuators by going into & out of drive so much...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

They let you change between the two without depressing a button so I would hope that indicates that you won't damage the transmission. Of course, it will be damaged less than shifting from drive to reverse while still going forward.

Reply to
Tim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

i dont know,let us know how it works out... maybe youll hit reverse one day .

ds549