Should I buy a Pontiac Aztek 2003

We were just approved to get a 2003 Pontiac Aztek, and can pick it up in the morning. My wife and I can't decide based on the fact that we have used the same mechanic for 5 years and he is very good and very trustworthy. His main concern was that the 3.4 engine was not a good engine, and that several people that have brought them in for repairs have trouble with the crank shaft leaks and oil gets into all kinds of other stuff. I know everyone here has good things to say about the aztek, but is there anyone that has any major bad things to say. What shgould we do? We drove it and love it. We have only one other car that is about shot, a 1994 Chrysler town and country. We need two vehicles, but just dont want to get into something that might be a lemon. Please someone advise as to any and all problesm you have experienced with the Aztek

Reply to
Alex

I think he's right, the 3.4s have some gasket problems that can make you end up with having a non-working Aztek.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Whoa hey what? You think that since this is a Pontiac group that the Aztek is automatically accepted by everyone in here? Trust me when I say we are more than willing to flame the hell out of it if you wish. ;)

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Alex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Go to groups.yahoo.com and look for one called aztekowners (or something like that). It's a very active group and the members trade information back and forth about various problems they have had with their Azteks.

Just skimming the subjects lines of the messages that are posted will probably give you a good idea of the problems that do/don't creep up.

I've had mine since May and I suspect that I might have a BCM problem... but that is a known issue and is covered under one of the tech bulletins that Pontiac has released. Other than that, my only complaint is lower gas mileage than I would like.

Reply to
orwell

Here is my thought! I think it is a versatile vehicle. I like the interior and the back gate. It has good side impact rollover resistance. Frontal impact is average (comparable to Montana mini-van). I can find many useful application for this vehicle. My only concern is engine reliability problem as you already point out here. I did not see or heard about leaking engine oil. Mostly coolant problem. So if you do a fair research on 3.4 L engine problem and have extensive warranty to cover that cost at front to de-risk it then why not? It not like 3.4L is the only engine that have intake gasket problem!! All GM's product suffer intake (plastic intake manifold) gasket problem soon or later. I have heard GM Vortex (Truck engine), seen some of 3.8L; 3.1L;

2.2L but did not see 2.4L DOHC yet. Basically, if I am in your shoe, I would consider it only if I have extended warranty cover those specific engine and coolant problem in the contract pertaining manufacture defect or design problem as known today on the bill of sale so if necessary, you could go back to GM yourself. Also, you want a FREE loaner anytime vehicle come in for repair due to engine problem or coolant (may be coolant anyway).
Reply to
no_account

Of course it gets bad gas mileage, the coefficient of drag is an unussually high number, I forgot exactly what it is though... I think the vette gets .26 or something, an the Aztek got a .8 or something higher.

Reply to
Paradox

"Paradox" wrote in news:bvjf2o$sql1b$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-109635.news.uni-berlin.de:

The fact that I do a 60 mile round trip commute averaging less than 30 MPH has more to do with it than the coefficient of drag.

Reply to
orwell

If you compare the MPG for the 2005 Vette (.28 coed) and the Aztek (couldn't find the drag for this car) in the city the Vette has a 6L V8 that gets something like 18 or 19 in the city I think and the Aztek gets the same with it's 3.4. Drag plays a bigger part in gas mileage then people think. My physics teacher said something like it acts as added weight or having the brakes on and trying to drive.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid