Skip shift lock out with new GTO

I just purchased a 2004 GTO (will be delivered this morning). I was a little alarmed that during the test drive, the salesman was shifting without using the clutch. Maybe this is common with the Tremec, but I was wondering whether it was another "feature" I didn't need.

In February, snipped-for-privacy@foxvalley.net posted something about the GTO's skip shift lock out:

"The 6 sp manual avoids the gas guzzler tax with the 1st to 4th skip shift lock out. This means at certain low power driving conditions, the computer tells you to shift from 1st to 4th, instead of to 2nd. This improves the mileage and allows them to avoid the tax. The 4 sp automatic does have the tax.

"Luckily there are aftermarket skip shift connector products you can install for $30 that defeats this skip shift lock out."

Can anymore provide more informationabout this "featyre," and where to source the connector widget?

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch Barrie

sweet car. head over to an electronics store - get a 1/2 watt 2.2k ohm resistor and then head over to:

you're done for about a buck. Did it on my 01 TA in 2002 and no problems. No check engine light, no stupid skip shift.

Ray

Reply to
ray

#Did it on my 01 TA in 2002 and no problems. No check engine light, no #stupid skip shift.

Sounds good to me. I'm been driving the car for half a day and the skip shift has been really annoying.

GTO six-speed is a Tremec, not a T-56 like in the Camaro and Firebird. I suppose the solenoid is the same?

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch Barrie

Pretty much so yes, I am looking for the Service Info CD, download it/whatever, for a '98 Grand Prix.

Thanks.

Reply to
Max

I don't believe shifting without the clutch has anything to do with the "skip shift" feature. Back in my day, shifting without the clutch was known as power shifting.

As for getting rid of the skip shift feature go here:

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S