solstice -- any opinions?

I ordered a solstice on Halloween. I,m now having second thoughts about going through with the purchase. The car I ordered is black on black with every option available except for monsoon sound system, which I would not get any use out of. Driving an open top roadster with a stick should be enough fun in itself. Loud sounds will only detract from the real pleasure. I drove 2 Solstices at a dealer in New Jersey in January. Both cars were cancellations. One was actully returned with about 200 miles on it. It seems the woman never drove a stick and had trouble adjusting to. She was also, I was told,a good friend of the dealership's owner, hence, she was able to return the car. The dealership would not discount the car one cent, though. Funny thing is this car handled and drove better than the can with 3 miles on it. The biggest problem I see now with Solstice is the fact that you and your significant other can't even take a weekend trip with the car with the top down unless you want to hold you bags on your lap. OK, to the point.Does Solstice possess the ghost of the Fiero? Will the car eventually be discontinued for lackluster sales once the diehards have gotten their cars? (remember the new Thunderbird?)Should I cancel my order and wait for the turbo model? By the way, Consumer Reports did not like the solstice (April, 2006 Auto Issue). But to end on a positive note, I'm 6 feet tall and I did fit comfortably in the seat,so Jason, you are wrong.

Reply to
Gerard

First, dont even waste your time reading consumer reports. Second...should you cancel the order....yes. Third...get the 2.0 260 HP turbo model for $3000 more.

Reply to
Behode ApaleHorse

Iv'e always found Consumer Reports has been right on the money when it comes to rating cars. I'm 62 years old.I don't have to get to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds. The wait for the non-turbo model is now almost one year. I got my order in onb Halloween and I am told will probably have delivery no later than the end of April. No guarantee how long it will take to get a turbo model. Maybe a year and a half from today. As they say, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Reply to
Gerard

My wife just got one on the 1st. I am only 6'3" and I don't fit well at all. I can get in the drivers seat, and could almost drive it as long as I don't mind almost the entire view being of the window frame. The passenger seat is a lost cause. I can wedge myself in but it is very uncomfortable and probably damaging to the dash. What is wrong with car manufacturers that a person of only 6'3" can't fit into a car. I tried a crossfire conv. and I couldn't even get in the driver seat.

Reply to
Blake

Try a Miata. Friend of mine is 6'4", and when he drives his wife's car, he looks over the windscreen. Can't ride in it with the top up.

Reply to
Bill

We didn't get one because of the previously-mentioned no room for luggage - but if we had room for a third car, damn straight we would! My brother, who has a large garage, does have a Solstice. There's nothing he doesn't like about it

Reply to
REP

Reply to
Bryan J. Lee

I picked up mine a week and a half ago having ordered it September 15th.

My only compaint....they could have done a better job with the seats. I find them too squishy and should have more side support.

Apart from that, I can transport 5 loaves of bread anywhere with the top down..!!!

Love the car and still getting the stares. The Opel GT,

available in Germany,based on the same model, looks pretty slick, as does the Vauxhall Lightening(albeit still just a concept status)
Cheers

Mark

REP wrote:

Reply to
.

I've had mine since January and have about 8,000 miles on it. Thus far I have liked mine better every day. My gas mileage which was about 22 during the first month is now consistently 27 and 28 if I behave. Although the gas mileage was mainly and excuse when I ordered it, it is nice!

As to your point about people still looking at it....get used to it :) I have at least 4 people a week go out of their way to come up and comment on it.

I waited so long on mine I was about to cancel the order. I'm glad I didn't now.

. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Jim