Sparking at wires

I have a 94 grand prix i showed my husband sparking at the plugs and wires so he put new wires on just those 2 and ever since he did when i give it gas it has a knock in it and won't get up to speed until you get going but still runs bad and when you stop then take off it has the knock in it again until you let go of the gas, he was told that the wires were on wrong but he switched them and still the same but he knew he put them on right because he did 1 at a time, can anyone help me,my husband doesn't want to keep putting money in it if it's going to shit. Could autozone have given him defected wires or the wrong wires for a

94? Thanks
Reply to
Chris Kelley

Sounds like you got a dead wire... Yes new wires sets "can" have faulty wires right out of the box. This is why they MUST BE checked with an ohm meter right out of the box. They should have a resistance no greater than 30k Ohms. I wouldnt run them if they are over 10k Ohms personally. If you give the slightest tug on the wire instead of at the boot it will harm if not flat out destroy that wire. That arching coming from you wires might of indicated that your plugs were bad as well. If he doesnt attend to this problem correctly there can be a cascading effect and that little bit of money he didnt want to spend will turn into expensive parts needing replaced. Bad plugs lead to bad wires, bad wires lead to bad coils, bad coils lead to a bad ignition module... Heres the cost of new plugs and wires for "my car" roughly. Autolite spark plug wires: $30 Autolite dual platinum plugs: $30 (100k mile plugs)

Now compair that to $167.99 for an ignition module plus $38.19 x 3 for my coils. Either he can give you a good running car for around $60 bucks or you can give him a bill for the $300 bucks... If you see whitish splotches on spark plug wires that usually means voltage has been arching from that spot and the wire needs replaced. Its also best to replace all of them when you see that as well. Plug wires dont last much over 50k miles.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

You could very well have gotten a bad new wire. On these Distributerless ignition systems 1 bad wire will knock out 2 cylinders. Being in the auto repair business for many years, I learned A good rule of thumb. Use only GM wires! I have had nothing but trouble with aftermarket wires,especially Belden.

Reply to
Philip Wagner