squealing brakes

i just installed new brakes on my 2000 grand prix and the brakes are squealing just the same as they were before the new ones. any ideas?

Reply to
Eric Olson

Do the new pads have shims on them if not did you use antisqueal on the back of the pads?

Reply to
slicker

Never heard of "antisqueal" but anti-seize I have heard of.

Reply to
Mike

sorry my fault it's called brake quiet and stops brake squaeal they sell it at any auto parts store.

slicker

Use of the brake quite stuff, as well as turning the rotors will prevent brake noises

Reply to
clevere

try using non-metallic pads.

if the pads use backing plates, don't use the goop that glues the pad to the piston, use anti-seize on backing plate between plate and pad.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

I would not recommend non-metallic pads to anyone. You will lose braking power!!!! Deadly with the traffic speed now-a-day. I would rather dealing with the squealing brake before changing to non-metallic pads. If you want to solve squealing brake problem, it is brake and rotor combination (as you already know that now). You can try to resurface the rotor, it should help for a short time. Where did you buy the rotors and pads or have you just replaced the pads on existing rotors?

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville