Starting Problem

2004Grand Am When i try to start a cold engine if i let the fuel pump and all the bells and whistles stop before i turn the key to start then it starts up normal if i just try to start it without waiting it will crank over for probly 5-10 seconds before starting and sometimes even keep cranking even if i let go of the key

Anyone have any ideas why or have same problem

Reply to
D&D Wheaton

"DD Wheaton" wrote: > 2004Grand Am > When i try to start a cold engine if i let the fuel pump and > all the bells > and whistles stop before i turn the key to start then it > starts up normal > if i just try to start it without waiting it will crank over > for probly 5-10 > seconds before starting and sometimes even keep cranking even > if i let go of > the key > > Anyone have any ideas why or have same problem

Sounds like starter hanging up or sticky ignition switch.

A faulty in-tank fuel pump check valve will allow the fuel in the lines to drain back to the tank after the engine is stopped.

Reply to
bonne

Is this common with GM's? My '99 Bonneville cranks a lot when cold, but if I put the key in the run position for 2 seconds before attempting to start then it starts almost immediately. I figured something in the fuel system was bleeding fuel pressure to cause my symptoms, so does that mean it has to be in the fuel pump? Could it loos pressure elsewhere and not be leaking fuel?

Also, my fuel gauge dances around immediately after I fill up -- goes from FULL to EMPTY with random stops in between. Usually straightens itself out by the next day. Will replacing the fuel pump solve this problem, too?

Thanks Dave

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

chi.forsale