steering column

Car in question is 1993 Grand Am, quad 4, 5 spd. Last night on way to work, heard a slight noise and now my steering wheel won't lock into place, moves up and down freely. The locking lever on column still has tension to it, but won't lock into place. Does it sound like something has come loose, or broke. Is this something that I can repair myself, does entire steering wheel have to come off. Any info appreciated.

Reply to
Jerry

This could just be the tumblers are worn. This often happens when you have a fleet of keys on your key ring.

Reply to
Kernel Clink

still looking for info on steering problem. Anyone???

Reply to
Jerry

You are probably correct... something either came loose or broke. You won't know what until you open it up. There is something similar to a double offset gear rack and metal pin in the column with the pin run through the pot metal. The "rack" dis-engages the pin when lifted with the lever. The wheel may or may not have to come off. You could simply rip the plastic covers off of the column and then superglue them back on after the repair (they are abs) or you could remove the wheel and all the screws and do it the "right" way. Only you know if you can repair it or not. I could repair it in my driveway, my ex-wife would not be able to do so.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=2D=A6=2D?=