STEREO LIGHT BURNT OUT

Does anyone have any ideas why my 97 Pontiac GP SE stereo light is not illuminating (LED)? I recently bought the vehicle and I know of a neighbour with a 2003 GP that the light went out on it as well (under warranty). The stereo still works, but it's very hard to tell the time or what station your on. I plan on ripping off the dash and taking a look with any wiring and fuses. Also, perhaps related is that the Gear Position lights on the instrument panel for D, 3, 2, 1 (possible affected light burnt out behind), also does not light up.

Like my water in the FSP area, this is likely a common Pontiac problem. I love my Pontiac GP!!!

Any ideas?

Maverick

Reply to
Maverick

Yes, I have a GOOD solution for you. I tried to find a light bulb for this display on a

1994 GP SE which is probably the same as yours. They are very hard to find, but I did find a website where they are available. However, they are about $15 plus shipping, which I thought was a bit much, because there could be something wrong with the radio causing the bulb to go and I didn't want to waste that much money if it didn't fix the problem.

Anyway, I found a very small miniature 12 Volt bulb at my local Auto Zone, took the factory CD player apart and soldered the light bulb in place of the factory bulb which is in a plastic socket. (The plastic socket twists out of the circuit board - turn it 90 degrees). I haven't had any problem with the display after I put this new bulb in and it only cost $2.

Good Luck! Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thanks Bill, I will check this out. MAV